Chapter 35

As the group makes their journey back to Fuchsia City, Ash, Pikachu, Serena, and especially Brock have been enjoying having Holly travel with them. The two adults talk almost non-stop while they walk together with the teenagers and Pikachu following behind. All day, Holly will want to hear stories about what Brock has been up to before and after the Hearthome City Tag Team Battle Tournament or be amazed at how great he is at cooking or taking care of Pokemon. Brock himself has been feeling like he's on cloud 9 while traveling with a beautiful and caring woman like Holly who is sincerely interested in him. Serena also found herself enjoying talking with Holly when she has a chance and has become good friends with her. She feels like she sees a part of herself in Holly from how she is so invested in getting to know the guy she likes, much like how she is with Ash.

Ash himself, on the other hand, is clueless with the way Brock and Holly act around each other. In his dense point of view, it is strange to watch Brock finally act silly in front of a woman who actually wants him to act that way in front of her. Even though he is glad that his friend apparently found what he's wanted for as long as he's known Brock, he wonders if this is what his mother was hoping he'd open up to wanting with Serena. At times he will glance at the honey blonde girl as they walk and try to imagine himself acting goofy over her like Brock. Each time he does, he shakes his head and mentally tells himself that he would never act like that, not realizing that he has once again missed the point of the matter.

On the sixth day since leaving Neon City, Brock leads the group to a different path than the way to Fuchsia City, which confuses Serena and Holly.

"Uh, Brock, I thought the way to Fuchsia City is this way," Serena says, pointing at the road they just passed.

"Yeah, so did I," Holly says.

"It is, but the Fuchsia City gym is actually out here in the woods," Brock answers while holding out his map.

"Hey, that's right," Ash says, remembering. "The gym is in that abandoned-looking mansion."

"Abandoned-looking mansion?" Serena asks, feeling uneasy.

Ash chuckles likely and says, "Don't worry, Serena. It's not really abandoned. It's all a cover-up for the gym leader, Koga, and his sister Aya who are both ninjas."

"Oh, how fun. I bet Bonnie would be excited to hear that if she were here," Serena says, smiling before she realizes something. "Oh my goodness, I just remembered we forgot to give Clemont and Bonnie a call again when we were in Neon City."

"Oh, you're right. I guess we got too focused on seeing Holly again and training for your contest," Ash says before giving Serena a reassuring grin. "I'm sure we'll find some time to call them before we take a ferry to Cinnabar Island."

"Pikachu," Pikachu says from Ash's shoulder.

"Right," Serena says, agreeing.

The group continues to follow Brock down the path until they come across a tall cliff with a long wooden board that connects to the other side where an old mansion resides.

"Uh, Brock, please tell me we don't have to cross through that thin board to get to the gym," Holly says nervously.

"I'm afraid we do," Brock says.

Holly whimpers and grabs Brock by his shirt, and Brock wraps his arm around her to calm her down.

"Don't worry, I'll be right behind you to make sure you don't fall," he says comfortingly.

Holly gives him a sweet smile and nods, accepting his offer. The two of them begin walking across the board with their arms spread apart. Brock stays very close to Holly, so she knows that he's right there to protect her, which eases her mind as they make it across.