Chapter 33

It is the afternoon, and Ash, Serena, and Brock are having lunch with all of their Pokemon in the middle of the forest. The three trainers are eating sandwiches with salad and chips at their picnic table while the Pokemon each have their own bowl of Brock's personally-made Pokemon food. Everyone is enjoying their meal with Ash already finishing his helping and patting his belly in satisfaction.

"That was great, thanks, Brock," he says. "You sure know how to fill a guy up."

"I hope you're not too full, Ash," Serena says with a smile. "I've got macarons and Pokepuffs for dessert."

Ash's eyes light up at the mention of dessert while Brock looks at Serena with a concerned look.

"Are you sure your Pokepuffs are right where you left them?" He asks.

Serena smirks proudly and takes out her basket to show that it has a lock on it.

"Not to fear, I have finally learned my lesson," she states. "I bought this at Fuchsia City, and it's specifically made to prevent your treats from being stolen by little greedy Pokemon like a certain someone I know."

Oshawott stops eating and feels a chill down its spine as it suddenly sees the eyes of all of the other Pokemon glare disapprovingly at it. The sea otter Pokemon chuckles nervously as it awkwardly continues eating its meal. Ash chuckles at his Pokemon before turning to Serena.

"Betcha Oshawott and Chespin would be good friends," he says with a toothy grin.

Serena stares at Ash before she starts giggling while covering her mouth.

"Oh, Chespin," she laughs. "I can see the two of them coming up with sneaky ideas trying to steal my treats and then fight over who gets to eat all of them."

"Who is Chespin?" Brock asks. "Is that a Pokemon you two know from your Kalos journey?"

"Yep, Chespin in Clemont's Pokemon," Ash answers. "Which reminds me, we should give Clemont and Bonnie another call once we get to Neon City."

Serena gasps in realization and says, "Oh my. I've completely forgotten to do that since Saffron City. I guess we've been so focused on gym battles, contests, and other stuff that we forgot to update Clemont and Bonnie like we said we would."

"Maybe while we're at it, we should give your mom a call," Ash says.

Serena groans in annoyance.

"You're right," she whines. "She's probably upset that I hadn't called her since before we left Kalos. She probably doesn't even know that we're still traveling together."

"Don't worry. As long as we show her that I'm here supporting you and we have Brock to look after us, she won't worry," Ash says encouragingly. "Plus, you already have three out of the five ribbons you need to compete in the Grand Festival, so she'll know you're doing just fine with pursuing your dream."

Serena looks at Ash appreciatively while he gives her a toothy grin.

"You're right, Ash," she says. "I shouldn't have any problems at all."

The two of them continue to smile at each other for a moment before Serena continues eating her lunch with Brock. Ash goes back to patting his belly, eager to eat more of Serena's delicious treats. But as the group finishes the rest of their meals, their moment of peace is interrupted by a faint voice.

"Ash!"

Everyone looks at each other in confusion. They are unsure if they heard anything until the voice grows louder.

"Ash, it's me!"

Ash stands up from his seat and turns around to see a familiar girl with brown hair that's in two long ponytails and wearing a yellow dress running over to him. Before he has a chance to say her name in surprise, the girl runs right into him and pulls him in for a tight, affectionate hug much to the shock of Brock and especially Serena.