Chapter 26

The next day, Serena got out of bed feeling refreshed. She got dressed and went downstairs, where Brock, Pikachu, and Ash are already in the Pokemon Center's cafeteria and have started eating breakfast.

"Good morning, everyone," she says cheerfully.

"Good morning, Serena," Ash greets.

"You're looking cheerful," Brock comments. "Are you feeling pumped for the contest?"

"I sure am," Serena replies as she fill a tray with some food. "After all the practice I did with my Pokemon last night, I feel like I can earn that ribbon before my opponents figure out what hit them."

"That's the spirit," Ash says.

"Pikachu," Pikachu adds.

"Oh, really? Do you think it will be that easy?" Says a voice behind Serena.

Serena turns around to find Giselle standing behind her with a cocky look on her face. Serena frowns and glares at her rival disapprovingly.

"Where have you been?" She asks bitterly. "We haven't seen you since Ash's rematch."

"I was hanging out the outskirts of the city training my Pokemon," Giselle says plainly. " I need to keep my Pokemon in shape for when they earn me my ribbon."

"It's not your ribbon yet," Serena counters.

"And it's not yours either," Giselle says in a matter-of-factly tone. "But the fact is I am prepared for you and any other competitor int the contest."

"We will see about that," Serena says.

"Oh, I suppose you will," Giselle says uncaringly as she walks away.

Serena glares at the brunette girl bitterly as she walks out of sight. Then she takes a deep breath to calm herself down before sitting next to Ash and starts eating her breakfast.

"You better take it easy, Serena," Brock says. "You know Giselle is just trying to get under your skin."

"I know," Serena says. "I guess I get frustrated easily when I come across an opponent like her. It feels like I have another Miette mocking me with every chance she gets."

"Miette?" Brock asks, confused.

"Miette is a friend of ours from the Kalos region who was Serena's rival during Pokemon showcases," Ash explains before turning to Serena. "Even so, Serena, you know the way you're acting is just what Giselle wants. Just focus on your own performance and have fun."

Serena sighs again before giving Ash a sincere smile.

"You're right, Ash," she says. "For all I know, I won't even have to face Giselle during the battling round. I just need to focus on giving the best performance I can."

"There you go," Ash says encouragingly.

"Pikachu," Pikachu says in agreement.

*******************************************************************************

"Good afternoon, Celadon City!" Lilian calls out from the stage inside Celadon City Hall. "Welcome to this year's Celadon City Pokemon contest!"

The audience cheers loudly in response. Brock, however, stands up and stares at Lilian with a lovestruck look.

"Wow! Lillian is looking prettier by the day!" He says before Ash forces him to sit down.

"Calm down, Brock, seriously," the raven-haired boy says. "You always say things like that whenever we see Lilian on stage."