Chapter 30

It's the day after Timothy's match with Lucy and Scott is driving Timothy, Electchu, Coovers, Ash, Pikachu, Brock, and Serena over to Lucy's house. When they came back to Fuchsia City the day before, Serena had just finished some hard training with Absol and was more than happy to join the group with going to Lucy's place for dinner. The group spent most of the next day with Serena practicing her routines with her Pokemon, Timothy, and Ash training in separate spots in the city, and Coovers and Brock runningp errands for supplies. Everyone agreed to meet Scott back at the Pokemon Center late in the afternoon so that they can ride together back to the forest.

"I can't believe I'm going to be having dinner at Lucy's place!" Brock squeals. "Fate must be bringing us together!"

"Brock, please calm down already," Serena says calmly yet firmly. "Honestly, at the rate you're behaving, I almost regret not coming with you guys yesterday."

"So do I," Timothy says overhearing Serena. "It would have been nice to have more people than just me and Barbara putting Brock and Coovers in their place."

"Hey, I can't help it if Barbara is a cutie!" Coovers barks. "You know I have a thing for blondes!"

"That's funny because a while back, you implied ladies with brown eyes and shiny black hair are your type," Timothy teases, earning a snicker from Electchu.

Coovers' face turns red, and he stutters before saying, "It...it doesn't matter what I said. All that matters is whether or not a lady will steal my heart and will give me her heart in return!"

"Preach it, Coovers!" Brock exclaims.

Timothy lets out an annoyed sigh and turns to Serena, who has a defeated look on her face.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say they are brothers with different mothers," he mutters.

Serena covers her mouth to and giggles at Timothy's comment while Ash looks at all of them from the front passenger seat, wondering what they are talking about.

"There they go talking about wanting that special companionship again, Pikachu," he says. "I wish I could understand why they're saying."

"Pikachu," Pikachu says, sighing at its partner's density.

Scott secretly chuckles, having overheard the raven-haired boy as he drives. The group continues to talk along the way until they make their way to a small cabin. Brock's excitement grows at the sight of Lucy's home until he smells something odd.

"Hey, do you guys smell something?" He asks.

Everyone turns to him in confusion as Scott parks his car before they sniff the air.

"Now that you mention it, something smells off," Coovers says.

Ash's face turns serious and says, "It smells like..."

"...smoke," Timothy finishes.

Upon hearing the word smoke, everyone's eyes widen, and they turn to the cabin to see smoke appearing through the windows. Without a word, everyone jumps out of the car and runs to the front door with Ash, Serena, and Timothy taking Oshawott, Poliwag, and Poliwrath, respectively, out their Pokeballs. Brock makes it the door first and swings it opens before coming in.

"Lucy, are you alright?!" He screams.

No one hears anything but several voices coughing from the other side of the cabin. Brock races over there with Ash, Serena, and Timothy not far behind with their water Pokemon. When they make it to the next room they stare in surprise to find out they are in the kitchen and the smoke is coming from the oven. Lucy, Barbara, and their sisters ae coughing violently while Lucy is holding a pan that has a mysterious black block on it. One of the sisters finally runs to a window and forces it open to get the smoke out.