Chapter 18

A couple of days have passed since Ash, Pikachu, Serena, Brock, Dawn, and Piplup left Cerulean City. Since that time, Dawn and Serena have been getting to know each other more and started to become very good friends. While Ash, Brock, and Pikachu lead the group as they walk toward Saffron City, Serena and Dawn walk behind to talk about showcases, contests, and fashion. Serena even began to teach Dawn how to make Pokepuffs for her Pokemon when they spent the night at a Pokemon Center out in the woods. It took Dawn several tries before she was able to serve her Pokemon Pokepuffs that weren't burnt.

Ash and Brock also got to enjoy catching up with Dawn whenever the group was taking a break for lunch or dinner. Serena was surprised yet amused to find out that Dawn's Buneary has a crush on Pikachu. Every time Dawn lets it out of its Pokeball along with the rest of her party whenever it was time for a meal break, the bunny Pokemon will try to sit next to Pikachu while eating much to the mouse Pokemon's uneasiness. Brock, Dawn, and Ash watch the display in amusement while Serena finds it adorable.

On the fourth day, the four trainers and Pikachu and Piplup find their way to a small town. Serena and Dawn smile excitedly, hoping to find a Pokemon Center where they can each take showers and make more Pokepuffs while Ash and Brock look at the view in recognition.

"Hey, Brock, is it just me, or do you think this is the town I think it is?" Ash asks.

"I think so, Ash," Brock answers.

"You recognize this town?" Dawn asks.

"Yeah, this is where the Battle Area is," Ash answers.

"Battle Arena? Isn't that one of the locations of the Battle Frontier?" Serena asks.

"Yeah, Greta is the Frontier Brain there," Brock says.

"I wonder if Timothy, Electchu, and Coovers have come this way yet," Ash says.

"Huh? Timothy, Electchu, and Coovers?" Dawn asks. "Who are they?"

"Timothy is my new rival," Ash answers. "He's the guy who faced Lance for his title as Johto's champion and won and is going to compete in the Indigo League to face him again for the title of Kanto's champion."

"What?! You're rivaling against a guy who defeated a regional champion?!" Dawn shrieks. "Ash Ketchum, don't you think you've overdone it this time?"

"Nope. I don't think so," Ash says proudly. "The bigger the challenge, the better. Besides, it was Timothy who challenged me to face him in the Indigo League, not the other way around. He started this rivalry."

"He did?" Dawn asks flabbergasted.

"He sure did. I was there," Serena says with a proud smile. "Timothy only agreed to compete in the Battle Frontier on the condition that Ash competes in the Indigo League with him. Apparently, he found it unsettling that it took him many years to be able to face a champion while Ash almost won a Pokemon League tournament at such a young age, so he wants Ash to show him what he's made of at Indigo Plateau."

"Wow, sounds like you really got to this guy," Dawn says.

"Well, it's not like I meant to, but I guess there was no changing his mind," Ash says.

"No changing his mind, eh? Now that sounds familiar," Brock says with a teasing grin.

The four trainers laugh at his joke and calm down just in time to make their way to pass by the fighting dojo. They stop when they hear loud noises that sound like a Pokemon battle is happening inside. Ash grins excitedly, making Brock and Pikachu smirk, and Serena and Dawn look uneasy.

"Ash, please don't tell me you're thinking of -" Serena begins.

"Let's go check that battle out," Ash interrupts as he and Pikachu start running inside.