| Prologue |

Jars and glass containers toppled over in the small house, rolling of shelves then shattering across the wooden floor. The mess they made didn't matter, considering the house would be sitting vacant for the next few years. Other then the ruckus inside the house, the area was peaceful. A small secluded home on the corner of a forest with not another home in sight for miles. The only noises that you would ever hear were that of animals and bugs in the nighttime when they came out to sing. A crickets song had become so familiar to you by now, the buzzing noise actually being rather calming in the night. The only other sounds came from yourself or your dog, sometimes the occasional traveler. As of right now, the sounds of outside the house couldn't concern you any less then what they already were. You were packing your bag, and making a rather big mess of it at that. Clumsily you would throw things into your bag, mostly taking food and the bare essentials. The mess in the house that you left behind wouldn't matter to you since you hadn't planned on returning anytime soon.

Hesitantly, your hands grasped a heavy and solid silver chain. It wasn't heavy to you thanks to your strength but you dropped it anyway, feeling it start to burn your palms. It hit the ground with a loud clanking noise and you frowned, knowing you should bring the chain just in case. Quickly you tucked it into your bag, putting on a pair of thick gloves before touching it again.

The chain was meant for you, it would keep you and others safe. You had been dealing with lycanthropy for a number of years now, silver being your weakness. The chain was what you used when the full moon came around. You'd tie yourself to a tree away from people, to keep from mauling someone in the night. The chain wouldn't kill you but it would burn you significantly if you ended up pulling on it, which would end up tiring you out when you had no control over your beast self. Along with the transformations came a number of perks. Enhanced strength, an unnatural boost to your awareness, vast amounts of stamina. Of course the downfall was that you would turn into some wolf like beast. The transformation normally stuck with the moon cycle, but if your adrenaline spiked or you were close to death then it could happen there as well.

Once you finished packing, you slipped your arm through the strap connected to the bag. You leaned down then quickly tightened your books before heading out, holding the door open for Buttons to run out ahead of you after you whistled for him to follow. He ran out then ran around the small house, his tongue hanging out from the corner of his mouth while he panted happily. You laughed then would grabbed your bow and quiver of arrows quickly before slipping out of the house.

The plan was to head to Gresit and offer your assistance to anyone along the way as a mercenary, like you've done before. You had an old friend in Gresit that you intended to look up, he was infected with lycanthropy just like you. His name was Minx, a old contact you had gained shortly after you were plagued with the powers of a beast. He tried his best to help you at that time, taking pity on you while you were obviously panicked on what would become of you with your new powers. A few years ago you had no home, instead you just wandered from place to place. You took jobs when offered since you did need to make money, people just started to refer to you as a mercenary. It would take two days to reach Gresit on foot, meaning that you'd need to stop somewhere along the way to rest.

After a few hours of walking, the sky had turned a dark grey as clouds rolled in. After a few more hours, the rain started. You picked up your pace before it started to really come down, covering yourself as best you could with your oversized cloak. You reached a small pub just as it started to really poor and you silently thanked God for the blessing of shelter.

Quickly you ran inside, Buttons running in after you and immediately sniffing around the pub. Most of the men in the pub just shooed the large dog away while you didn't exactly care about what he did considering the pub was a shit hole. Broken boards of wood in the floors, lopsided stools at the bar, tables made out of old boxes. Not a single women in sight, other then you which raised a few eyebrows when you lowered your cloak.