Prey [15]

The next three weeks went by extremely slow. I spent the majority of my time curled into a ball in my bed, blankets wrapped tightly around me. The first few days after it happened, I was a mess. I had these terrible nightmares, teeth and blood flashed through my mind every second i closed my eyes. I would only sleep during the day, for the night terrified me. It got better throughout time, but I still have so many thoughts, and even more questions. However, there was absolutely no way I was going to seek out the answers. Unless?

I physically shook my head, scrubbing the last plate before rinsing it and putting it on the counter beside me. I wiped my hands off on a nearby towel and left the kitchen. It was around 4 and Bina wouldn't get off until 8. She had gotten a new job on the far side of the boardwalk as a ticket vendor for the rides. It made me extremely uneasy that she was there, around them, but we needed money and she was an adult.

I had only been to the boardwalk three times since they were in my bedroom, and surprisingly all of them, even him, kept away from me just as I asked. I saw them a few times, making eye contact with Marco who would give a small apologetic smile as he waved. It broke my heart to turn away from him; how could someone so innocent and sweet, be such a monster?

I found my way up to my room, throwing myself into bed. I flipped on the small tv, turning to the latest episode of miami vice. It only took a couple seconds before the familiar shiny object caught my eye from the corner. I glanced over at it, memories flooding my brain faster than i could register. Why did i keep it? I had no clue, all I knew was that I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. The necklace Dwayne had given me hung on a loose nail in the far corner of my room, right under the David Bowie poster.

As much as I hated him, or at least that part of him, I couldn't forget the way the normal part, the human part of him, made me feel.I looked away from the necklace and back at the TV, focusing hard on the characters and what was happening. I leaned over to my table and pulled my opened my bag of paint chips out from the drawer, shutting it back and leaning back into my bed. I munched on the chips loudly, waiting for Bina to come home and make dinner.

I sat there for maybe two hours, glazing from the TV to the necklace, something i did way more often than I wanted to admit. I missed him, honestly i did. But I missed the other side of him, the side i didn't see rip apart someone in front of my eyes. The side that didn't feed on someone's blood in front of me. I shivered and put the chips away, suddenly feeling sick to my stomach. This occurs almost every single day, no matter what im doing. He always finds his way back into my head.

I decided it then, I would no longer lay in bed and mope about him. I wasn't going to waste anymore time pondering the possibilities.

I got up and found myself standing in front of my dresser. I pulled out some ripped jeans, a back tank top, belt, and black sneakers. I threw it on quickly, throwing my hair into a loose ponytail, leaving the wispies out. I didn't care about makeup at this point, and honestly? If I tried to focus on my makeup I would probably end up convincing myself that this was a bad idea, which it is, but i need this. I cant waste my life thinking about him. I needed to know.

--

I waited in bed, fully covered, until i heard Bina come in. It was around 8:15 so I knew they would be at the boardwalk any minute. I heard her creep up the stairs, opening my door slowly. I could almost feel her gaze on me as I pretended to be sound asleep. I even opened my mouth slightly to make it believable. She shut my door after a few moments after,her tiny footsteps fading down the steps. I waited for a good fifteen minutes to be sure she was in her bed before making me move.

I slung the covers off my body and ran over to the door, slowly flipped the lock. I went back over to my bed, grabbing my black cross-body bag, throwing in some pepper spray and a water bottle. I made my way to my balcony door, undoing the cord i had wrapped around the handles. I got pretty paranoid right after the incident. I opened the door slowly, trying to be as quiet as possible. I climbed down from the balcony as usual and as soon as my feet hit the grass below me, I took off.

I jogged down the wide street, hugging my bag close to me, almost tripping over stray rocks a few times. The more I ran the more nervous I got. What if they try to kill me? I almost stopped running, contemplating turning back as the butterflies pounded on my stomach, begging me to go back home. But i couldn't. I had to do this, for myself. So i kept jogging, through the dark, in the warm summer air, all the way until the familiar lights of the boardwalk filled my vision.

I slowed myself down as i stepped on tp the creaky wood, walking with purpose through the various people. It was always crowded here at this time. I pushed past the groups of teens who always seemed to be standing right in my path. Growing more nervous and annoyed the further I got. And then it all came to an instant halt.

They were sitting by the edge of the dock, each on their bikes, just laughing and joking as they usually did. But not Dwayne. He just sat there with this pained look, staring off into space as if there wasn't a care in the world to him. I thought about going back, darting home before anyone noticed I was gone. However, as my luck predicted, before i could turn away i caught onto Marko's gaze again. I didn't want to talk to Dwayne, or even Pay for that matter, but something about Marko always made me feel the least threatened. He was like a puppy in a gang of pitbulls.

I quickly gave him a pleading look, waving him over. He looked back at the boys just as they noticed my presence, before getting off of his bike and walking anxiously over to me. When he reached me, he stood a good half a foot above me, towering over me like a building. "Can we talk?" I rushed out, anxious to get it over with. I could fee the boys watching, Dwayne's dark demeanor seemed to fill the entire boardwalk. Marko nodded, but stayed planted where he was. I looked back up at him, "Alone please?". He smiled and nodded again, "Yeah come on" he grabbed my hand and pulled me in the opposite direction of the guys, as I caught one last look at Dwayne, watching Marko intently, as if another predator had just stolen his prey. It scared me..He scared me.

A//N
IM BACK!
I'm so sorry I meant to upload so much sooner but balancing school and work and marching band has taken up all my time lately. ❤️ I hope to start uploading at least a chapter a week.

PLEASE follow my Instagram!
Instagram: frazier_beauty

I'm also writing another book! It's a Patrick Hockstetter x OC so you all should go check it out!