XVIII

For the first time, it's Taehyung who wakes up to the smell of eggs, hash browns, and pancakes; as well as recognizing an empty bed. He rubs his tired eyes and stretches before standing up. Jungkook hears faint footsteps and smiles to himself before looking over at Taehyung who's also smiling. "You made breakfast?" Jungkook excitedly nods.

"Mhm! And I put chocolate chips in the pancakes too!" He happily says, warming the older's heart. Taehyung sits on the counter and watches Jungkook make breakfast for them. Jungkook puts all of their food on plates and the two sit on the couch to watch tv while they eat. The younger is interrupted by his phone ringing. He looks over and sees it's his mom. His smile fades a little bit before he puts his phone on mute.

"Do you want to answer her?" Taehyung asks after swallowing a bite of pancake. Jungkook just shakes his head with a soft smile.

"No, I want today to be a happy day. Don't worry about it." Though concerned, Taehyung turns to face the TV and Jungkook does as well. Out of the corner of Jungkook's eye, he can see that he's getting more calls and texts from his mother. He looks over at Taehyung. "I'll just call her back so she can stop. Give me a minute." He gets up and walks to his room, closing the door and calling his mom back. It only rings once before she answers.

"Jungkook.."

"What do you want?" He coldly asks. She lets out a sob, worrying the younger. "What is it?"

"Your dad died in the middle of the night." She cries. Jungkook's heart stops as he freezes, numb.

"How?" She cries more, likely confused as to why her son isn't crying at all.

"Suicide. It's all your fault, Jungkook." The call takes a turn, yet Jungkook still feels nothing.

"It's not my fault-"

"In his letter he said it. He said it's your fau-" He hangs up. He doesn't feel the urge to cry or smile or get angry. He doesn't feel anything. Taehyung walks in, not failing to notice the younger's empty expression. Jungkook's sitting at the edge of his bed looking zoned out.

"Koo? What did she say?"

"My dad killed himself last night." He tells the older with a numb tone.

"Oh," Taehyung pauses. "Are you okay?"

"She said it's my fault." He says, now starting to feel. Anger, frustration, and sadness all beginning to build up.

"It's not your fault-"

"He wrote it in his note." He starts looking angry. "What the fuck did I even do? Come out?" He asks Taehyung, or himself, or his dad. He isn't sure. "I need something to drink." He gets up, grabbing his jacket.

"Jungkook, it's only noon." Jungkook just shrugs.

"Oh, well." He walks out the door and Taehyung follows.

Two hours later and Jungkook is completely out of it. Taehyung has remained sober to watch out for the younger and he's glad he did. Jungkook and him are sitting at the bar, waiting for Jungkook's next round of shots. "Tae," The younger looks over.

"Yeah?" He asks, noticing the younger's bloodshot eyes.

"You're so pretty." Taehyung turns crimson as Jungkook stares at him. "Holy fuck, how does someone look like that?" The older giggles, smile fading when the younger looks away.

"Thank you, Jungkook. So are you." Three more shots are given to Jungkook who quickly downs them.