XX

Jungkook didn't expect to be standing in a church at his father's funeral the day before his eighteenth birthday, but here he is; zoned out and dressed up with his boyfriend standing beside him. The younger is staring into the distance, not comprehending any of the words the pastor is telling the group of friends and relatives. Jungkook can name no more then fifteen of the people in the pews.

Taehyung takes hold of the younger's hand, bringing him back into reality. Jungkook looks up at the older with tears in his eyes, swallowing down the lump in his throat. He then looks over it his mother in the pew across from them. Their eyes meet and Jungkook quickly wipes a stray tear, looking down at the ground and struggling to breathe. "Jungkook, are you okay?" Taehyung whispers with worry. The younger just shakes his head, eyes screwed shut as tears still force their way out. It's too much. It's all too much. "Okay, okay. Here, sit down and focus on breathing." He quietly says.

Jungkook follows, breathing with the older. As they breathe, Taehyung can't help but look up at Jungkook's mom. The two make eye contact and she looks guilty, apologetic even. Taehyung doesn't mind her, focusing on his boyfriend as everyone sits down. "Please, just.. Hold my hand?" Jungkook shakily whispers, eyes still screwed shut. Taehyung slowly intertwines their fingers, holding onto the back of Jungkook's hand as well. After a few minutes, the younger slowly opens his eyes again, more calmed down.

"Seojin's wife has since requested for their only son, Jungkook, to come up here and say a few words." The younger's head snaps up. Taehyung looks over.

"Only if you want to." Jungkook lets go of his hand.

"I-I do." The older sadly smiles, watching Jungkook step up to the podium. "Um, hi." He nervously chuckles, looking around at everyone. "I wasn't expecting this so," He looks at his mom before shifting his focus to his boyfriend. "Bare with me, I guess." Everyone lightly laughs. "My, um.. My dad and I didn't end things on good terms. The last thing he said to me was.." He swallows the lump in his throat, voice wavering. "That he's happy I ran away and he hopes I'm on the street; that he wouldn't miss me." A tear rolls down his cheek, but he quickly wipes it away. "And funnily enough I still miss him. Even if he's somewhere in the afterlife hating me, I still love him." Jungkook lets out a light sob, taking a moment to calm himself down. "I'm sorry." He breathes out, wiping his face. Family and relatives speak out comforting words. Jungkook looks at his mom. "I remember one time," He looks down at the podium. "He told me he'd love me know matter what... I was fourteen at the time. Who knew being gay was an exception?" He lets out a sad laugh and Taehyung wipes away a tear, listening to the younger. "I just wish I had different last words to remember him by, I guess... Dad, wherever you are.." His chin trembles and eyes gloss over once again. "I love you and I forgive you." He lets out a sob. "Thank you." Everyone claps and Jungkook runs outside. Taehyung, in turn, runs to follow him.

When he gets out, he frantically looks around before seeing Jungkook standing on the sidewalk, sobbing into his palms. Taehyung pulls him into a tight hug which Jungkook clings onto. "You did so good, baby." Taehyung cries with him. "I'm so proud of you."

"It hurts." Jungkook says into his shoulder. "It hurts so much." Taehyung squeezes him tighter.

"I know it does. I'm here." The two hug for a few minutes before people come out of the building. Jungkook pulls away, wiping under his eyes.

"Jungkook?" A soft voice beside them says. The two look over.

"Mom." The violet quietly responds.

"Baby, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. It wasn't your fault. I was so wrong. I love you." Jungkook swallows the lump in his throat, hugging his mom before they pull away. "Your hair," She sadly comments.

"Yeah." He softly chuckles. "Tae did it for me." She softly smiles.

"So you've been staying with him then?" Jungkook's smile drops as he nods. "Are you treating him well?" Taehyung nods as well.

"Yes, ma'am." She scans Taehyung for a moment.

"I'm sorry for allowing your father to throw you out like that, Jungkook. I really am." She pauses, turning to Taehyung again. "I'm sorry he's had to stay with you. You're a young man yourself and having to take care of him as well.." Jungkook looks shy and embarrassed, ashamed even.

"I've enjoyed living with Jungkook. He's a lovely boy." The younger nudges the older, blushing and making Taehyung chuckle. "And money isn't a problem. I'm in college and my uncle is funding me for now." She nods, looking over at Jungkook.

"I'll call you tomorrow to wish you a happy birthday, okay?" Jungkook nods, a warm smile on his face. She kisses his forehead. "Bye, Jungkook." He waves goodbye as she walks to her car.