Chapter 1

Hey,
My name is Holly but everyone calls me Hol. I'm 17 and lucky to be alive. Why? When I was born I was one of the 6 babies born with Congenital Heart Disease (CHD), CHD is a name given to all kids who have different things wrong with their heart, mine being tricuspid atresia, transposition of the greater arteries, ventricle septal defect and double outlet left ventricle. For my heart condition I had to have 3 surgeries, 1 at 3 weeks, 21 months and 8 years of age. Not only do I have problems with my heart but I was also born with mild spasticity in my lower legs, at age 5 I had surgery for this.

Life is getting better as each year goes on, but it wasn't always that easy. At my mothers 21 week scan she was told her daughter had something wrong with her heart, that she would be lucky to live past pre-school, lucky to go to kindergarten. Today, I've done both that and this year sitting my HSC.

Every day I remember how thankful I am just to get to see the light of day. Lucky to of seen it this long but no one can possibly know how 'long' long is, it may be for forever or maybe just for another day.

But no matter what I am going to spend the rest of today breathing and being with the ones I love.