15 - Murder on the Dancefloor

Things livened up when a band called The Weird Sisters trooped up onto the stage. Everyone around me applauded wildly and enthusiastically. I had no idea who these hairy people were but when they picked up their instruments, everyone scrambled on to the dance floor to dance wildly to their music.

"Fancy it?" Cedric asked, "work off some of that lasagna?"

"Cheeky git," I laughed, taking his proffered hand as I stood up.

He led me to the throng on the dance floor. The heat and noise hit me instantly as we moved amongst the bodies. Cedric placed his hands on my hips, our bodies moving in time to the music. I shook my head around wildly, drowning in the atmosphere.

One song went into another and we laughed and danced the night away our skin beginning to glisten with sweat. At one point I lost Cedric to the crowd, but I did not care. Everyone was dancing with wild abandonment. I felt as though I could go on like this all night long, my body moving to the crazy beat like it belonged to the music.

A pair of hands grabbed my waist from behind and I twirled around grinning, expecting to see Cedric.

But it wasn't him. Instead I found myself face to face with Draco Malfoy. He had a hungry expression on his face, his grey eyes glinting into mine. He pulled me to him and leant down so that his lips were just above my ear.

"You're looking hot tonight, Potter," he growled.

I couldn't quite believe what was happening. My heart raced in my chest and I was suddenly very aware of his scent; his cologne invading my senses.

Before I could react, someone grabbed my arm, yanking me out of his embrace.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing, Malfoy?"

Cedric, still holding my arm, hissed threateningly down at Draco. Bodies carried on dancing around us, oblivious to what was going on as the music continued pumping in our ears.

Draco simply smirked, not looking at all bothered. "Just catching up with a friend."

His eyes flicked back to me, looking me up and down suggestively. I felt oddly self conscious - I did not like Draco looking at me like this. As if sensing my discomfort, Draco gave me a wicked wink, glee written all over his face.

Having had enough, Cedric grabbed the lapels of Draco's shirt, pulling him up to his height. "Piss off, Malfoy, before I deck you one."

"Chill, Diggory," Draco chuckled, instantly shrugging him off. "Just being friendly, that's all."

Straightening his tie, he threw me a smirk before disappearing back into the crowd.

What the actual fuck?! Draco Malfoy coming on to me was not something I ever expected. And it really, truly unnerved me.

I glanced guiltily up at Cedric who was visibly shaking in anger. The fury in his eyes was unmistakable. I suddenly wished I was back in my dormitory, out of this ridiculous outfit and back in my glasses.

"Come on," he muttered moodily, grabbing my hand and dragging me off the dance floor, back towards our table.

"Look, Cedric," I said breathlessly, digging my heels into the ground before we could sit down, "I think I've had enough for tonight."

Immediately letting go of my hand, his shoulders sagged in defeat, and he looked down at me regretfully. "I'm sorry, Etta. I just didn't like the way he was looking at you."

"You and me both," I laughed awkwardly.

My stomach knotted as I recalled the hunger in the Slytherin's silver eyes.

Angry voices made me glance over to where Ron was sitting. He seemed to be in some kind of furious debate with Hermione, his date, Padma, sitting sulkily with her arms crossed next to him.

This night seemed to be rapidly turning into a disaster for everyone.

"Listen, before you go," Cedric said, drawing my attention back, "I was just wondering if you've managed to work out the clue?"

Clue? I looked at him confused, not having the foggiest idea what he was going on about.

"You know - the golden egg? Does yours wail when you open it?"

Oh... that thing. Mutely, I nodded.

"Well... take a bath, okay?"

"What?" Was he insulting me?!

I quickly dipped my head to give my armpit a discreet sniff.

He emitted a soft chuckle. "Take a bath, and - er - take the egg with you, and - er - just mull things over in the hot water. It'll help you think... trust me."

I just stared stupidly up at him.

"Tell you what," Cedric continued, "use the Prefects' bathroom. Fourth door to the left of that statue of Boris the Bewildered on the fifth floor. Password's Pine-Fresh."

"O...kay," I said slowly. I was still reeling in shock from Draco's unexpected advances, and I could not think straight. I just wanted my bed.

Cedric kissed the back of my hand and smiled at me, his eyes sparkling. "I had fun tonight, thank you for being my date."

I smiled back at him, a warm feeling spreading through me. "I had fun too, thank you for asking me."

I left him standing there, declining his offer to walk me back to the Gryffindor Tower, wanting space to clear my head.

As I took the long route through the hallways, I came to the eventual conclusion that Draco must have been acting on some kind of dare. It was the only explanation.

Except... it did not explain the look he had had in his eyes.

By the time I got back to the common room, Ron and Hermione were already there, in the middle of a blazing row.

"Well if you don't like it, you know what the solution is, don't you?" Hermione yelled at him, face scarlet with anger.

"Oh yeah?" Ron yelled back. "What's that?"

"Next time there's a ball, ask me before someone else does, and not as a last resort!"

Ron's mouth opened and shut like a goldfish as Hermione turned on her heel and stormed up the staircase to the girls dormitories. Ron turned to look at me.

"Well," He spluttered, looking thunderstruck, "Well - that just proves - completely missed the point -"

I didn't know what had happened. This flipping ball had made everyone go completely doolally. I stalked to bed, looking forward to this day being over and for everything and everyone to go back to normal.

But, of course, that never happened.

***