34 - Thanking You

I wanted to see him.

I left the Valentine's ball immediately after the Zacharias incident, and fled straight to my dormitory where I whipped out the Marauders Map and searched frantically for his name.

But I couldn't see it anywhere. Not in any of the corridors, not in the Slytherin dormitories. I glanced down at the Hall where most of the footsteps were but I definitely couldn't see it there either.

Where the fuck had he got to?

I perused the map for hours, even after Hermione had returned, rolled her eyes, and went to bed, I carried on searching.

And then, as if out of nowhere, there he was. Draco Malfoy. The little footsteps next to his name were walking along the seventh floor. If I left now, I could catch him before he made it down to the dungeons.

Glancing at Hermione's bed to make sure she wasn't about to jump back out, I grabbed my Invisibility Cloak and tiptoed out of the dormitory and through the now empty common room.

I slipped the cloak over my head and quietly made my way through the castle, making sure to follow the map so as not to lose Draco.

I finally caught up with him in the hallway above the Entrance Hall. He was coming towards me. I came to a halt and held my breath as I waited for him.

What in the hell was he doing out and about in the castle at this time of night?

I made my move as soon as he drew up close enough. With all my might, I pushed him into the dark alcove to the side. He stumbled back in shock, unprepared for my attack.

"What the fuck?" Draco yelled, looking around with wild panic in his eyes.

I quickly pulled my cloak off, pressing my hand over his mouth to quieten him. "Shush you idiot or you'll get us both in trouble!" I whispered furiously.

His eyes widened in surprise before glancing downwards to where my hand was still on his mouth. I was suddenly aware of the feel of his lips under my fingers and I quickly removed my hand, cursing myself as I could feel heat rise to my cheeks.

"Potter," he hissed, "what the fuck do you think you're doing?"

Now I was standing here, with him, I realised that I had not planned what it was that I actually wanted to say to him.

His grey eyes glittered impatiently into mine. "Well?"

"I- I just wanted to say thank you," Jesus, I was starting to feel like an idiot! I mean, I've literally come out in the middle of the night especially to see him, just to say 'thank you'. Pathetic!

He stared at me curiously, the Adam's apple bobbing prominently in his throat. I suddenly felt extremely awkward and wished he would just say something... anything; even if it was to tell me to fuck off.

And when he did finally speak, the words that left his lips were not what I was expecting at all.

"I didn't like the way he was touching you."

My heart fluttered at the soft expression on his face, he looked almost vulnerable and the urge to reach up and press my lips against his suddenly overwhelmed me.

"I didn't like the way Pansy was touching you," I whispered instead, not quite believing what I was saying.

His lips twitched in amusement, and I found myself feeling a spark of irritation that even now he was smirking.