28 - Draco's Detour

So apparently I'm 'The Chosen One' now. Dear god, if it wasn't already enough that I was 'The Girl Who Lived'.

It seemed the world finally believed me that Voldemort was back. It only took them witnessing him literally prancing around the Ministry singing 'I'm back bitches!' to make them realise.

Also turns out that Sirius left me his house. Excellent, I am now a homeowner at the sweet age of sixteen. Unfortunately, it also meant that I had inherited that cretin, Kreacher; but hey ho, I still got a mint piece of property out of it.

Dumbledore took me on a little trip to try and lure a man called Horace Slughorn to come and teach at Hogwarts. Naturally, my mere presence persuaded him. Dumbledore's hand looked rather mangy. I hope it's nothing serious. Then Dumbledore dropped me at The Burrow where I got to spend the remainder of the holidays. Yay.

We went to Diagon Alley to fetch our school supplies. The whole place had gone to shit. Only one place remained happy and lively - Fred and George's joke shop. And that, of course, was all down to my unstoppable generosity.

But before we went there, Hermione, Ron and I went to Madam Malkin's to get some new robes fitted.

Just like the first time I had entered this shop, Draco Malfoy was already in there, getting his own robes fitted, his unmistakable voice drifting out from behind a rack of expensive looking robes.

"... not a child, in case you haven't noticed, Mother. I am perfectly capable of doing my shopping alone."

He then stepped into view, dressed in a handsome set of dark green robes, admiring himself in the mirror. It was a few moments before he noticed us, but then piercing grey eyes suddenly locked on mine as he spotted me reflected over his shoulder.

There was a sudden charge in the atmosphere, and I felt my face grow hot. The last time I had seen him he had been so angry with me.

His eyes instantly narrowed as they roamed over my companions, resting upon Hermione.

"If you're wondering what the smell is, Mother, a Mudblood just walked in."

Hatred instantly pooled in my stomach and I found myself reaching angrily for my wand at the exact time as Ron.

There was a commotion as Madam Malkin lost her shit and demanded that Draco's mummy come and sort it out.

"Put those away," Narcissa said coldly to me and Ron. "If you attack my son again, I shall ensure that it is the last thing you ever do."

I just could not help myself.

"Really?" I scoffed, boldly taking a step forwards and gazing into the smoothly arrogant face that resembled her son's. "Going to get a few Death Eater pals to do us in, are you?"

Madam Malkin squealed and clutched at her heart. The dramatic cow.

"Really, you shouldn't accuse- dangerous thing to say- wands away, please!"

But I refused to lower my wand, causing Narcissa to smile unpleasantly at me.

"I see that being Dumbledore's favourite has given you a false sense of security, Henrietta Potter. But Dumbledore won't always be there to protect you."

I looked mockingly all around the shop.

"Wow... look at that... he's not here now! So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband!

Draco lunged at me. But unfortunately for him he stumbled over his fancy pants robes. Ron laughed loudly.

"Don't you dare talk to my mother like that, Potter!" he snarled, angry pink dots appearing on his cheeks as he glared at me.

"It's all right, Draco," Narcissa said, placing a hand upon his shoulder. "I expect Potter will be reunited with dear Sirius before I am reunited with Lucius."

Lights dotted my vision as I raised my wand higher, but Hermione kept trying to grab at my arm.

"Etta, no!" she moaned. "Think... you mustn't... you'll be in such trouble..."

"Yeah, like you'd dare do magic out of school." Draco sneered.

I looked up, our eyes connecting. My pulse quickened as I shakily lowered my wand. His face was hard with anger, but his eyes... there was something else...

Madam Malkin, pretending that nothing was happening, started tugging at the hem of Draco's sleeves.

"I think this left sleeve could come up a little bit more, dear let me just-"

"Ouch!" Draco bellowed, slapping her hand away, "watch where you're putting your pins, woman! Mother - I don't think I want these anymore-"

He pulled the robes over his head and threw them on to the floor at Madam Malkin's feet.

"You're right, Draco," his mother said, coming into view besides him. She threw a contemptuous glance at me, Ron, and Hermione, "now I know the kind of scum that shops here..."

They strode towards us, Narcissa Malfoy sniffing her nose as she passed us. Draco's cold eyes briefly met mine again, his expression hard and unreadable, before he disappeared out of the door.

*****

We were in Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, when I spied Draco hurrying up the street alone, glancing over his shoulder suspiciously. It looked as though he had finally given Mummy the slip.

My stomach was burning with curiosity; I needed to know where he was going, and I needed to know what he was doing.

So, after persuading a reluctant Ron and Hermione to come with me, we followed him under my amazing Invisibility Cloak.

We ended up in Borgin and Burkes in Knockturn Alley. Using Ron's Extendable Ears, we overheard Draco asking Borgin to tell him how to fix something. It was all rather peculiar.

I spent the rest of the holidays pondering the meaning of Draco's behaviour in Knockturn Alley. It really got on my friends nerves actually. I wouldn't shut up about him.

But of course, I would not - I was obsessed. He was all I talked about, all I thought about.

I had a theory that Draco had become a Death Eater to replace his father but that was shot down instantly by Ron and Hermione. They'll be sorry if I'm right.

The last day of August had arrived and my thoughts turned to the following day. Despite Draco's warning to stay away from him, I was determined to ignore it. I will find out just what that git is up to and I will make sure he doesn't fuck with me.

Because no one fucks with Henrietta Potter.

Especially not Draco Malfoy.

***