53 - Potter

1st September, 2017
(Nineteen Years Later)

"Where are they?"

Albus was peering at the people surrounding us in the crowded station as we made our way down the platform. The thick vapours from the steam was making it difficult to identify the many faces around us.

"I think that's them, Al," I said suddenly.

A group of four people emerged from the mist, standing alongside the very last carriage. Their faces only came into light when Albus and I had drawn right up to them.

"Hi," Albus said, sounding immensely relieved as Rose, who was already wearing her brand-new Hogwarts robes, beamed at him.

Smiling, I greeted Ron and Hermione with the usual flurry of hugs and kisses.

"Nervous?" Hermione whispered in my ear as she jostled a grizzling Hugo on her hip.

I looked down towards my dark-haired son and my heart fluttered. "Yes, you?"

Hermione nodded as she stared glassy eyed at Rose. We were both, for the first time, waving off our children to Hogwarts.

"Come on," Ron said jovially, draping his arm over my shoulder and squeezing me to his side, "Let's get Albus's things on the train."

Together we hauled my son's crap onto the Hogwarts Express.

"Seems like only yesterday, eh?" Ron said softly as he noticed me nostalgically glance up and down the train's corridor.

"Just promise me you haven't lumbered poor Rose with corned beef sandwiches," I muttered. "I don't think I've given Al enough money to buy up the entire trolley."

"What's wrong with corned beef?" Ron frowned, looking genuinely confused.

I shook my head, resisting the temptation to roll my eyes as I stepped back off the train onto the bustling platform.

It was at that moment when a small body collided into mine.

"Woah!" I cried, steadying the boy by the shoulders. I looked down at him only for my breath to catch instantly in my throat.

From beneath a mop of sleek white-blond hair, a pale face looked up at me, familiar grey eyes widening in alarm.

I felt as though I had stepped back in time.

"Scorpius!" A voice shouted to my left, I glanced up to see a dark-haired woman running towards us.

No. No, no, no. Panic blinded me as I looked frantically around, wondering how I could escape.

"I'm so sorry," the woman gasped apologetically as she skidded to a breathless halt in front of me, pulling the child to her side. "It's his first day, and he's so very excited!"

My heart thudded in my chest as I looked at the woman I knew to be called Astoria. I did not know why I was so surprised. I should have half expected this.

"I-It's okay," I blustered, wanting to get away from her as quickly as possible.

"Oh!" Astoria said, her eyes widening. "You're Henrietta Potter, aren't you?"