21 - Weasley is our King

After my heated encounter with Draco, I tried to stay out of his way. I hadn't liked the way he made me feel. It unnerved me.

Thankfully, he seemed to be doing the same. Apart from the odd smirk, he had toned down the taunting in our shared classes and averted his eyes when we passed in the corridor.

I had so much shit to deal with. Umbridge was making me torture myself in detention. I must not tell lies is now etched permanently on the back of my hand. Fucking psycho bitch. I was half tempted to write Umbridge is an ugly old toad instead, but then figured I would not want to be scarred with her name for life.

But I couldn't avoid Draco when it came to Quidditch. We were both Seekers for our teams and were to compete at the next game. But I was dreading it for Ron's sake, more than anything though.

He had tried out for Gryffindor Keeper this year and he got in. But he wasn't very confident and I knew the Slytherins, one in particular, would prey on this fact.

And that he did.

As soon as we mounted our brooms at the start of the match, I could not help but notice a badge pinned to the front of Draco's green Quidditch robes. I could just make out the words Weasley and King. He caught my eye and smirked, smugly tapping the crown-shaped badge.

I vowed right there and then that I would find the Snitch before Draco or die trying. I gave him a look in return that said as much. His eyes glinted amusedly and I felt a swirl of hatred rip through my stomach.

There was a song. Of course there was. I fumed, listening to the lyrics as I kept my eyes out for that Golden Snitch.

"WEASLEY WAS BORN IN A BIN
HE ALWAYS LETS THE QUAFFLE IN
WEASLEY WILL MAKE SURE WE WIN..."

After a painful hour, I finally saw it. Unfortunately, so did Draco. We both went for it at the same time, Draco clawing at my arm as he drew up beside me. I leant down on my broom, urging it to go faster.

I could feel his desperation, feel his anger that I was going to get to it first.

And I caught it! I bloody won us the game! Fuck, I'm awesome.

"Saved Weasley's neck, haven't you?" Draco sniped, evidently pissed off as he landed close by. "I've never seen a worse Keeper... but then he was born in a bin... did you like my lyrics, Potter?"

I refused to answer. I wasn't going to rise to his bait. Instead, I turned away to meet the rest of the team who were now landing one by one, yelling and punching the air in triumph; all except Ron, I noticed, who had dismounted from his broom over by the goalposts and seemed to be making his way slowly back to the changing rooms alone.

"We wanted to write another couple of verses!" Draco called, as Katie and Alicia hugged me. "But we couldn't find rhymes for fat and ugly - we wanted to sing about his mother, see-"

"Talk about sour grapes," Angelina muttered, casting Draco a disgusted look.

"-we couldn't fit in useless loser either - for his father, you know-"

Fred and George had been halfway through congratulating me on my awesomeness, when they froze, looking round at Draco.

"Leave it!" Angelina said at once, taking Fred by the arm. "Leave it, Fred, let him yell, he's just sore he lost, The jumped-up little-"

"-but you like the Weasley's, don't you, Potter?" Draco sneered at me. "Spend holidays there and everything, don't you? Can't see how you stand the stink, but I suppose when you've been dragged up by Muggles, even the Weasley's hovel smells OK -"

Instinctively, I grabbed hold of George before he could lunge. Meanwhile, it was taking the combined efforts of Angelina, Alicia and Katie to stop Fred leaping on Draco, who was laughing openly. I looked around for Madam Hooch, but she was busy yelling at Crabbe.

"Or perhaps," Draco said, leering at me as he backed away, "you can remember what your mother's house stank like, Potter, and Weasley's pigsty reminds you of it-"

THE LITTLE FUCKING PRICK! TOO FLIPPING FAR!

Seeing only red, I let go of George and went sprinting towards Draco. I didn't care that there were witnesses; all I wanted to do was to cause Draco as much pain as possible.

I literally threw myself at him, we both toppled to the ground, me landing on top of him. I straddled him, my fist poised, still holding the Snitch, ready to punch him right in the jaw.

His eyes glinted up at me as I hesitated.

"Go on, then, Potter," he growled, his eyes wide with amusement, "you know you want to."

A jolt of electricity went through my insides. My fisted arm lowered a fraction, and - as if of their own accord, my eyes darted to his lips.

This did not go unnoticed by Draco, who chuckled beneath me.

"JUST WHAT IN THE BLAZES IS GOING ON HERE?!"

I jumped as Professor McGonagall bellowed behind me. I quickly scrambled off of Draco, who was still staring up amusedly at me. He sat up, ruffling his white blonde hair.

"Potter just getting over excited as per usual," he drawled.

I glared down at him, hatred ebbing through me. "He was insulting my mother," I snarled.

"But instead of leaving it to Madam Hooch to sort out, you decided to give an exhibition of Muggle duelling, did you?"

"I didn't even hit him!" I yelled, wishing I had.

"Hem, hem"

Oh, for fucks sake.

Umbridge walked up, wrapped in a green tweed cloak that greatly enhanced her resemblance to a giant toad.

"May I help, Professor McGonagall?" She asked in her most poisonous sweet voice.

"I'm dealing with this, thank you, Dolores," McGonagall snipped, turning her attention back to me. "Now, I do not care what provocation Malfoy offered you, I do not care if he insulted every family member you possess, your behaviour was disgusting and I'm giving you a week's worth of detention! Do not look at me like that, Potter, you deserve it! And if you ever-"

"Hem, hem."

"Yes?" McGonagall spat, closing her eyes as though praying for patience.

"I think she deserves rather more than detention, I think she ought to face a ban."

This was grossly unfair! The fucking bitch! Draco snickered quietly on the ground next to me and I really felt like kicking him very hard. I was being punished for it anyway.

The stupid toad only went and banned me from Quidditch for life! AND she confiscated my Firebolt!

All because of that fucking white-blond haired ferret.

God, I hated him.

***