38 - All Cut Up

I finally got the memory! With a little help from Felix of course. Get in.

It turned out, getting Slughorn drunk as a skunk was the answer. Why didn't I think of that one before?!

Anyway, I took it straight to Dumbledore and I got some Brownie points for that. It turns out that we have to hunt for Horcruxes in order to defeat Voldemort. I'm sure that will be easy peasy with Dumbledore by my side.

Feeling lighter by my awesome brilliance, I skipped down to dinner one evening knowing it wouldn't be long until I conquered that evil parent killing bastard.

I stopped short, however, when I heard a strange sound coming from the boys bathroom.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I pressed my ear against the door. Someone was sobbing. And rather than giving them the privacy they do obviously needed, I carefully pushed open the door.

My heart stilled at what I was witnessing.

Draco Malfoy was standing with his back to me, his hands clutching either side of the sink, shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His whole body was shaking as tears streamed down his pale face into the grimy basin before him.

"Draco?" I breathed, letting the door swing shut behind me as I stepped inside.

His gasping and gulping came to a shuddering halt as he looked up into the cracked mirror, his eyes met mine. In an instant, he wheeled round and I could not help but cry out.

Because on his left forearm, clear as day, was the Dark Mark.

I FUCKING KNEW IT!

Our eyes locked in mutual horror.

And then, before I could even open my mouth to speak, the fucking git threw a hex at me.

Luckily, it missed me by inches, shattering the lamp on the wall beside me. I threw myself sideways and flicked my wand, but Draco blocked my jinx and raised his wand for another shot.

The bin behind me exploded; I attempted a Leg-Locker Curse but it backfired off the wall behind Draco's ear and smashed the cistern, pouring water everywhere.

Draco's face screwed up in anger and went to flick his wand back at me but I got in there first.

I had read about a spell, scribbled in my potions book, meant for using on your enemies. I had no idea what it did, but now I decided (sensibly) would be the best time to use it.

"Cru-"

"SECTUMSEMPRA!" I bellowed, waving my wand wildly.

And to my absolute horror, blood spurted from Draco's chest as though he had been slashed with an invisible sword. He staggered backwards and collapsed on to the waterlogged floor with a great splash, his wand falling from his limp right hand.

"No-" I gasped, my heart in my throat. No, no, no, no.

I slipped and staggered towards him, throwing myself down to his side. His face had turned a sickly white as hands scrabbled at his blood-soaked chest.

"Draco!" I cried, looking frantically down at him, my hands desperately trying to stem the flow of blood from his slashes.

His eyes met mine and the fear in them terrified me to the core. He started shaking uncontrollably as his blood pooled around him; around us.

"I didn't mean-" I choked as tears started pouring down my cheeks. His hands found mine, clinging to me like he was hanging on for life. His eyes never left mine as he gasped and spluttered incomprehensibly.