30 - Felix

"Where've you - blimey, what've you done to your head?"

I had just walked in to the Great Hall, super late, cringing as all eyes were on me. Focusing on Ron and Hermione I scurried over, praying that my face did not look as hot as it felt.

I looked at Ron, confused. My head?

"It's bleeding!" Hermione gasped.

My hand flew up to my forehead where I had knocked it on the table. I could feel the sticky warm wetness. Christ, I must look a right state. Didn't stop Draco sticking his tongue down my throat though.

"Are you okay, Etta?" Hermione pressed. "What happened? Did you fall?"

"Yeah, something like that." I muttered, keeping my head low as I threw myself heavily into the seat they had saved for me. "I'm okay though." I quickly added, seeing the looks of horror upon Ron and Hermione's faces.

I had to try extremely hard not to glance over at the Slytherin table. I did have to wonder just what exactly was going through Draco's mind though. One minute he's threatening my life and the next he can't get enough of me.

Not that I was complaining.

Thankfully I had missed the Sorting so I could get straight into eating. I was flipping starving. It had been quite the day. Tucking into a Yorkshire pudding, I told Ron and Hermione about what I had overheard in the Slytherin compartment. I avoided telling them about what happened after though. I got the feeling they wouldn't approve.

"He's definitely up to something, I'm telling you." I said, stabbing my fork at Ron's face who just responded with raised eyebrows.

"I don't know, Etta," Hermione sighed, letting her knife and fork clutter to her empty plate. "It sounds like he was just showing off for Pansy."

It occurred to me just then that Draco had known I was there, watching. Had he done it on purpose? Had he been trying to make me jealous?

I was suddenly desperate to turn my head towards him. It took all my effort to focus my eyes firmly on my plate.

"He looks different," Ron said. My head shot up and I followed his gaze.

Shit. I found myself staring at Draco. Ron was right, he did look different. All of the Slytherin's around him were talking and sniggering or whatever it is that they do. Except for Draco. He was looking morosely down at the food on his plate, not touching it. He looked sad.

Suddenly, as if sensing my gaze, his head shot upwards and my stomach flipped as our eyes connected. I quickly looked away, feeling humiliated that he had caught me staring.

"Blimey, see the look he gave you, Etta?" Ron guffawed, rubbing his hands as pudding appeared at the table.

"What look?" Damn it! I could feel the heat return to my cheeks. This was not cool.

"Are you okay?" Hermione asked, looking at me curiously.

"I dunno," Ron said stuffing banoffee pie in his mouth, ignoring Hermione. "It was like he was hungry or something."

Hermione gave a look of disgust as Ron sprayed pie across the table.

My own pie lay untouched on my plate. My heart was racing in my chest as I stared at it. Thankfully, Ron did not seem to see the significance in what he had said. But I did.

I thought about what had happened on the train and how it had made me feel. I recalled the way his hands had roamed my body and how his lips had felt on mine. And I found myself wanting more, wanting him.

And it seemed Draco was hungry for me too.

***

I had to try and put the kiss out of my mind. Draco Malfoy was my enemy. And I was pretty convinced he was a Death Eater - even if no one else believed me. All the signs pointed to it.

Thanks to Slughorn being the new Potions teacher, I was able to take it at NEWT level. Unfortunately, even though only a dozen others had progressed to this class, I was sharing the class with Draco Malfoy.

This made it maddeningly difficult to avoid him.

Both Ron and I entered the first class late. As soon as I stepped into the dungeon room, my eyes landed on a pair of silver grey ones. This time, Draco broke the contact first. I watched him shift uncomfortably on his stool as Pansy whispered something in his ear. I felt that familiar burning feeling in my stomach.

Trying to ignore it and them, I attempted to concentrate on the class. I had to have a second hand potions book seeing as I hadn't come prepared and it was in such a state.

Someone had scribbled all the fuck over it.

Turned out though, they knew what they were scribbling about. I only went and won a vial of Felix Felicis. I was treated with glares from everyone, but I didn't care. I got liquid luck. Get in.

Hermione was especially thunderous, and even outright accused me of cheating. Jealous cow.

But she still did not look half as pissed off as a certain white-blond haired Slytherin. Draco was positively glaring at me as he noisily packed away his Potions equipment. I could sense the hatred coming off in him in waves.

"IT'S NOT MY FAULT IF YOUR STUPID POTION SUCKS!" I shouted after him when he purposefully slammed his shoulder into me on his way past my desk.

He flipped me the middle finger before vanishing through the door. Fucking git.

"Hmmm," Ron pondered, tapping a finger to his chin. "He clearly wanted that luck. I wonder why?"

"Oh, don't encourage her!" Hermione sniped haughtily, throwing her books in her bag. "Her obsession is already borderline crazy!"

Ignoring her, I continued to stare at the door where Draco had just disappeared through. Ron was right, he really had been determined to get that lucky day. But I had no idea why.

And I was determined to find out.

***