49 - Happy Thoughts

Fred's dead.

The whole world tilted on its axis. I found myself falling. I was not as strong as I thought I was. I could not take this anymore. I just wanted everything to stop.

"Etta!"

My knees hit the uneven floor beneath me just as someone caught me under my arms, preventing me from completely crumpling to the ground.

"Etta!" Draco repeated, hoisting me up on to my feet, and pulling me into his chest. Draco. Draco was alright and he was here. But not Fred.

Not Fred.

However, I didn't have time to dwell on this as curses began to fly over our heads and giant fucking spiders decided to come scuttling in through the hole in the wall.

"Etta, we need to move, NOW!" Hermione screamed whilst Ron and Percy hauled Fred's body to the side.

Taking my hand, Draco dragged me along after Hermione, Ron following behind. I was glad to let Draco take control. I couldn't think for grief right now.

But I had to toughen the fuck up. And fast.

Especially as Ron started having a mini breakdown causing Hermione to violently shake him back to sanity.

"Ron, we're the only ones who can end it!" she cried as we took temporary shelter behind a wall tapestry. "Please - Ron - we need the snake; we've got to find Nagini!"

Draco turned to me, his brow creasing into a frown.

"Nagini?" he asked, as Hermione carried on shaking Ron in front of us. "Voldemort's snake?"

"Yes, its a Horcrux." I quickly explained, running my fingers through my hair. "Just like that diadem. We must destroy them all to kill Voldemort. It's the only way to end this."

"That's what you've been doing this past year," Draco murmured, looking at me in what I can only describe as awe, "hunting down these Horcruxes?"

I nodded, and I could see the astonishment flash in his eyes as he took this all in. And then he seemed to come to some sort of decision as his face pulled into a fixed, determined look.

"I can help you," he said, quietly. "I know where to find the snake, but..." he trailed off, swallowing.

"But?" I pressed, suddenly eager to get moving, my shock quickly dissipating as I was filled with a renewed fight.

"Etta, I'll have to take you to Voldemort - that's where Nagini will be."

I nodded, my heart thudding. Looking him fiercely in the eyes, I held out a hand in front of me.

"Then take me there. Now."

***

The great friend that I am, I left Ron and Hermione behind, explaining that they weren't needed anymore. I had Draco now.

I'm sure they understood.

Using my Invisibility Cloak, Draco and I escaped the castle, dodging through the chaos of the battle as we went.

As soon as we got outside to the safety of the darkness, we whipped off the cloak, and headed silently in the direction of the Whomping Willow, our hands clasped tightly together.

But about halfway there we stopped short in our tracks as a coldness engulfed us; the type of coldness which turned your breath to ice and froze your lungs.

"N-No," I shuddered, shutting my eyes, trying to block out the screams of my mother.

Draco started shouting in my ear, but I was not listening. What was the point? I was not going to win this war. So many were already dead. Cedric, Dumbledore, Sirius, Dobby, Hedwig. And now Fred. All dead because of me. There was no point. I may as well just let this darkness-

"ETTA!" Draco bellowed in my ear. "I need you to help me do this!"

My eyes flew open, and I saw that Draco was desperately trying to cast a Patronus towards the advancing Dementors but failing miserably.

Shakily, I lifted my wand and tried with all my might to conjure a happy memory. Discovering I was a witch... leaving the Dursleys...

"Expecto... Expecto..."

But it was no use. They're all dead. Everyone's dead. I fell to my knees, sobbing.

"Etta! Please!"

Draco's voice brought me back again. A Dementor was closing in on him, already trying to suck out his soul. He fell to his knees beside me, letting his wand clutter to the ground.

No, not Draco. They can't take Draco too.

And then, suddenly, I thought about what Draco meant to me, and my mind went back to that one perfect afternoon we shared by the waterfall... his touches...his kisses...

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

A huge white stag galloped out of the end of my wand, driving the Dementors away. I sighed with relief as the coldness lifted and hope once again filled my heart.

"You did it, Etta," Draco said hoarsely, shakily getting back to his feet, helping me up with him. "You fucking did it."

I turned to him, an exhausted smile tugging at my lips as the glow of my Patronus lit up our faces; my stag continuing to circle us, protecting us.

"It was you, Draco," I said, reaching up to touch his cheek. "You are my happiest thought. I couldn't have produced it if you weren't for you."

I saw the warmth flood over Draco's features, his eyes twinkling in the soft glow of the light as a smile twitched at his lips.

"Etta," he breathed, pulling me to him.

I closed my eyes as his lips brushed against mine and I could not help but release a soft, contented sigh. I could stay in his arms forever, I thought, as he held me firmly against him, his warm hard body offering me security and affection.

But loud booming sounds from the castle brought me crashing back to reality.

And reality sucked.

Reluctantly, we broke apart, staring back up at the burning building that we once called home, where our friends were fighting; sacrificing their lives for our freedom and peace.

Draco and I looked at each other, exchanging looks of anguish and terror. And I knew it was up to me to end this.

"Let's go," I said, determination now coursing through my veins. I was not going to let that bastard win.

***