Chapter 15

AGH I couldn't wait any longer.

"Put that away!!"
"Oh shut up, will you? This is your fault anyway!"
"How is this my fault? Your the one that came up with this stupid idea. I was the one who said no, we shouldn't go hang out at an old Diner! But you guys peer pressured me into it!"Nickie whisper yells at us as she slaps the phone playing Flappy Bird out of Kalie's hand.
At this, Kalie and I share a look.
One,
Two,
Three.
"AH!" Nickie screeches as we dive for her behind the building.
In a matter of seconds we've got her hands pinned to the ground and her mouth covered.
I hear footsteps approaching, closer each second.
"Shut up!" I hiss into her ear, she stops squealing instantly.
I try to even my breathing out and quiet it down because right now all that I can hear in this alleyway, besides the footsteps, is our breath.
Now it's two pairs of feet, one chasing the other towards us.
"Wait! West! Wait up!"
My hair stands on end at the sound of his name, West, the one who Braxton was right about.
The chills I'm getting from the fright isn't helping with the chills the cold weather is delivering.
I grasp Kalie's arm a little tighter when I hear the pair of footsteps come closer to the end of the alleyway.
"Where could they have gone? I swear this is where Jake said he saw them run." He says, his voice getting louder and rougher by the second.
I motion for Kalie and Nickie to get up, telling them that if there is any chance of escape it would be now.
I push my friends in front of me and tell them to start running, I turn to follow when I hear this,
"You should've kept your cover up longer. They wouldn't of known. She might even of chose you over her boy toy!" the second person tells West.
I can hear him gritting his teeth, "I would've! But her stupid boyfriend already knew too much. He knew who we were before she did. He warned her!" West says the last part, smashing his fist against the alleyway walls, and that's when I run after my friends.
We run all the way downtown, out of the bad part of town. We run to my car, that's parked outside of 'Rusty's', the Diner we stopped at with him.
I get in the Drivers seat and drive home.
Kalie and Nickie walk up to my room, quietly.
As soon as I'm up there, I lock all the windows, doors and blinds.
I call Braxton too, wanting him to know what happened.
"Hello?"
"Your Okay?" I breathe out through the phone.
"Am I Okay? Van! I got a call from you asking me for help! You had me so worried! I called everyone! We're all at my house,me, Ricky, and Brylon. We were all worried after you didn't respond when I asked you why! Van you can't do that to us. I'm coming over."
"No you can't! Brax, you don't know how much the girls and I want you here, but it's not safe. If they know you know then you'll get hurt!", I'm begging him now, tears on the brink of dropping.
"Van, what are you talking about! Who is they? Just..I'm coming over whether you like it or not. Your going to tell us what happened."
I just nod, well aware that he can't see me and hang up.

I sit on my bed with the girls, just Huddled together like we used to when watching horror movies, except now, the nightmare is real.
A few minutes later I hear a knock in the door, now I'm not stupid, West could be here, I look out the window to make sure.
"Guys were good."
I still have tears streaming down my face when I get to the door downstairs.
Braxton is just starting to knock again when I open the door.
He takes one look at my face before I'm pulled into a hug.
He's got me smushed completely against him.
We're pushed out of the way by Ricky and Brylon, looking for Nickie and Kalie who followed me downstairs.
They're sitting in the living room and we all file in there and sit on the couch.
"So what happened?", Ricky asks as he shifts Kalie onto his lap.
I look around and the girls don't look stable enough to talk, so I start.
"Well it started when West pulled me aside during lunch today. He told me that we should meet up at Rusty's, you know that old Diner on the other side of town.", I take a deep breath and start again, "So, we were friends right? I said yes but I brought Kalie and Nickie along too after they volunteered to go. We met a couple hours ago at Rusty's and just ate and had fun for an hour or so. That's when he started getting weird. He was looking out windows, he was restless. He was waiting for something. Or someone. And when he came back from the bathroom, we all smelt something on his breath. His eyes were dialated and he had something like blood on the collar of his shirt. We wanted to leave then, but some guy came up and started yelling at him and pointing at me. He told said that West shouldn't be trying so hard when obviously I belong to Braxton." At this, Braxton inhaled deeply, "We told him we had to go to the bathroom and ran out of there. He started banging on the door when we didn't come out because we were planning so we told him just a second and then we ran. We couldn't get to my car because we would risk running by the window he was seated at and we were scared. So we ran away. Down some back alleyways and finally we stopped at one a couple blocks away from the Diner. We just waited around the corner for footsteps or anything really. Finally we heard it, that's when we ran. But he kept talking about you Braxton," I turn to him."and I. He said you already knew what he was doing. That's why he just gave up on his "act" and let us see who he really was. We ran after that." I finish off with a deep breath, trying to calm myself down.
Braxton just strokes my head and puts it in his chest as he shares some looks with his friends.
"We're here now Vannah. They can't hurt you."
"Did you know?" I ask.
He sighs heavily at my question.
"I had a suspicion. But he was your friend and I knew you'd choose him over me in a heartbeat because you valued your friends. I didn't think my paranoia would turn out to be true. I'm so so sorry Sav. You don't know how sorry I am that I wasn't there to protect you. I should've known, we could've protected you. Got some people to follow you and protect y-"
"Follow us? Um Braxton I still want my freedom. I was going to get a job today! It's Friday! I was going to do all this stuff for my future. Do I even have a future? What is going on Brax?!" I yell desperately, moving myself away from my boyfriend.
"I can't tell you."
He reaches out to me, but I pull away. The girls pull away from their boyfriends also and look at then expectantly.
They look at Braxton who shakes his head at them, causing them to turn back to their significant other and give them a pleading look, just to be okay with it.
"Get out.", I speak to Braxton, as the girls come up beside me.
We cross our arms and look at them with a Stern look.
Braxton chokes out a laugh and reaches towards me,"Van, you can't be serious."
I wipe my tears away and think, He should be wiping these.
But he isn't.
Because he won't tell you.
Which causes a new wave of fury to over run my body as I glare at his hand and say one last time through gritted teeth,"Get out Braxton."
He send me one last pleading look before he sees I'm not backing down and leaves with Ricky and Brylon behind him.
I grab a pillow and lay down on the couch.
The one day I really really need him, he can't be here because of his own stubborn attitude.