The Burning

We tried to hide but it was too late, we waited for Margret to come guns blazing from the forest shadows and kill us all. I held my breath but let out a sigh of relief when I saw frosted blond hair.

Xavier.

"Xavier I'm happy to see you." He quickly came to me and embraced me, accidentally nudging Chet.

"Fuck!" Chet flinched in my arms after the sudden contact. Xaviers eyes went wide as he took in Chets bloody chest.

"What happened?" He was truly concerned and placed his hand on Chets good shoulder.

"We found him in a pit with a fucking spike through his shoulder, Margret is a fucking lunatic."

"The camp story about the serial killer was bullshit, she is Mr.Jingles, that's  why she said the killer was never caught." Rita had caught on to the lies after what she witnessed what went down with those two boys. At that moment Chet passed out from the loss of blood reminding everyone of their current situation.

"Guys we need to move he is gonna die out here." Chet has become dead weight so Xavier took Brookes place and started making a run for the nurses cabin. Luckily the lunatic was no where in sight which made me nervous, if she had gone trough all this trouble to make a pit before we arrived and opened the camp to get people here to feed into her blood lust hunger, what else was she capable of.  We pushed through the cabin door, the girls making sure the coast was clear as Xavier and I laid Chet on the medical bed.  I checked his neck for a pulse and it was there but faint. Rita quickly came back to his side and started pulling out gauze, and alcohol from the near by glass cabinet.  She stared at the wound and shook her head.

"We need to stop bleeding completely or else he is gonna bleed out before we can find help. " Rita stood up and ran to another room which was her sleeping area, she came back holding an iron.

"But there is no power." How was she going to use it if Margret shut off the power earlier in the night.

"That won't work, I need to place the iron above a flame and heat the metal. We are gonna cauterize his wound and burn it shut. Now take off his jacket and shirt while I make a fire." We quickly did as she said, Xavier and I began to carefully remove his shirt and jacket. Thankfully he hadn't woken up yet but I was pretty sure that he was about to.

"Montana you hold his legs, Brooke you have to muffle his screams. We need to be fast and not make too much sound." Montana had a look of horror at what she was about to witness, she always seemed so badass but right now her face had the expression that I'm sure we all shared, terror.  Rita moved above Chet the iron placed inches from his wound, she took a deep breath and pressed the hot iron into his bruised and bleeding flesh. There was an instant smell of burning flesh and blood. Chet opened his eyes and went to let out a scream when Brooke firmly placed her hand over his mouth to muffle his screams, he was kicking and squirming so much I practically had all of my body weight on his arm. Rita moved the iron over the area in circles, she lifted the iron and motioned for us to turn him over. We quickly turned him and she returned the hot iron to the back side of his wound, only this time he didn't scream, he passed out from the pain.

Once Rita was done she asked us all to wait in the hallway as she applied antibacterial ointment and patched him up. She had found some painkillers and placed it near him for when he woke up, he was gonna need it. Once he was up we needed to get to Xaviers van and get the hell out of here. I moved over towards hallway and sat on the ground placing my head in my hands. How did this night turn into a total nightmare, one minute I was in a lake with Xavier and now I had the smell of burning flesh stuck in my nose. I couldn't break down not now, I felt a tear slide down my cheek and I quickly brushed it away. I felt someone sit beside me and place their hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" His voice soothed the feeling of doom in my heart for the moment.

"I'm freaked Xavier, we had such a great night and it all went to shit." He scooted closer and grabbed my hand, it caught me by surprise but I didn't mind.

"I'm scared too and I don't know what's gonna happen but one thing I do know is that I'm not letting you die here."

He squeezed my hand and deep down inside I believed him.