So Close But So Far

We reached the activities cabin that was filled with kick-balls, jump ropes and other equipment but what stood out the most was the archery equipment.

"We are gonna fight back."  Xavier rushed over towards the archery equipment and picked up a bow and quiver of arrows. He slung the quiver over his shoulder and walked back to me.

"Do you know how to use that?" Xavier gave me his signature smirk.

"I played Robin Hood so I'm familiar." I looked around the room looking for a weapon, I picked up a wooden ground stake that was used for ring toss, this could work.

"Alright let's get the fuck out of here Xavier." Once again he grabbed my hand and we started making our way back towards the parking lot. This time we ran into the forest and using  the tree line as a cover from Margrets eyes and bullets. I could see the van up ahead, I have never been more happy then to see that hip looking van. We started running for the van, and I crashed into the passenger door pulling  on the handle, it was unlocked. I jumped inside and so did Xavier, he put the keys in the ignition and tried to start the van. At first she didn't want to start and I was starting to get worried that our only way out was dead.

"Come on baby come on." Xavier turned the key one more time and vans engine sputtered to life.

"Fuck yeah baby!" Xavier shifted the gears into reverse and then into drive. We started driving forward and I could feel a sense of release, suddenly someone jumped out waving there hands in the headlights in front of the van, Xavier turned the wheel to the right trying to avoid what looked to be Brooke and crashed into Chef Berties pickup truck. I jumped out of the van saw Brooke with tears running down her cheeks, I right away embraced her wiping the tears from her face.

"Brooke are you alright, where is Chet?" Brooke started shaking more tears spilling from her eyes.

"She killed him, we were hiding in the boat house when Margret found us, we could hear the jingle of her keys. Chet hide me under a boat tarp and said he was gonna distract her so I could run," She Brooke down in more tears, sobbing loudly, "she knocked him over the head with a boat ore, tied a small anchor to his foot and placed him in a boat, she took him out to the lake and tossed him over. I was a coward, I didn't even try to help him." She cried into my arms as Xavier walked up behind us.

"We need a new way out, the vans done for." I looked at Xavier and could see the worry in his eyes. I was starting to really think we were gonna die here.

"Rita had a car we can go back and find her keys in the nurses office." Maybe we could use her car.

"They aren't there, me and Chet looked." We all exchanged a look, when I realized that Rita had the keys.

"Rita has the keys, they must be in her pocket." Rita's body was not far and only a few steps away from us near the parking lot where Margret first fired, "You two stay here I will go get the keys." It was better if one of us went and not all of us.

"Hell no I'm not letting you go alone Rain." Xavier gripped my wrist keeping me from moving forward.

"Xavier it's better that one of us go instead of all of us." I pulled my wrist away and started walking towards Rita before I changed my mind. I ducked into the trees and made my way quickly towards Rita, I was making sure not to trip over anything as I was running through the forest. The moonlight broke through the trees and I looked up at the starry night sky and sent a silent prayer.  I finally reached the opening and saw Rita face down a about three steps away, poor girl. I stepped onto the dirt hunched forward and approached Rita. I checked her back pockets, nothing. I turned her slightly checking her left pocket, empty. I could feel the panic starting to bubble up like a shaken up soda pop, I was close to spilling over the top. There in her right pocket, her car keys. I pulled them out and stood up, I started jogging towards the parking lot. I was so focused on reaching Xavier and Brooke that I didn't hear Margret step out from the darkness behind me.