Part two: The way to the Crossroads

Welcome again, dear readers.

Music is the always wonderful Chopin. Oh a small village life... what a dream...

Art is Leaving Home by Henry Herber la Thangue (1890).

Part two:

We spent a few weeks on the road and travelled through several towns after the whole ordeal with the Ofeiri. I had never been very far in my life, it felt as if I was seeing and experiencing so much. Sadly, this was not a very cool dream, as there was little to no fighting involved for me, instead I found myself doing chores. Yeah, a dream about a world where magic and monsters are real and I'm doing the dishes.

We had been sharing a room whenever we had the luxury of an inn, since coin was tight and I didn't want to burden Geralt too much. I tried helping as much as I could, getting small jobs in kitchens or in the fields whenever he went monster hunting. It kept me out of his hair as well. At the end of each day I was so tired that I fell straight asleep. Geralt was mostly silent, as was I. He was however, pleasant company and I took a liking to him. I could tell he cared to do the right thing most of the time. It surprised me nothing sexual ever happened between us, as I found him attractive and knew of the famous Witcher libido. And also, this is a dream, so there's little to lose. It wouldn't have been wise either way for many reasons, so I was glad for it and never invited him.

I even had dreams within this dream. One was of nekkers, another of Gaunter O'Dimm. It was getting so long for a dream, but I didn't mind. We only remember dreams after we wake up and then forget most of it, so that didn't mean much. It did however help me to make the most of my time here. I let my hair down a little more. I drank a little more and a little more often, with Geralt or whatever co-workers I had in the town we were in. I laughed more, worked harder. I stole kisses from wonderful boys and girls, blushing behind the blacksmith's shed. We moved on every few days, so I really made the most of whatever this life was.

And then we reached Yantra. Geralt rented a room for us while I explored the town, to see if anyone needed a hand – a Witcher's hand or a human one. I came across what I expected the meeting place to be, a crossroads under willow trees. Children played underneath it, singing a song slightly off-key. I felt a strange chill crawl over me. It was gone as swift as it came, despite it being a nice, warm day. Tonight the moon will shine and I remembered the quest that awaited Geralt and me when we would finally meet with the Man of Glass.

The job I found was as a help in the field. I was especially glad to keep my mind off of the coming confrontation.

"Looking for a job eh? I mite 'ave sometin for ye." The farmer woman had said. "Where's yer man? A woman like ye can't travel alone."

"I'm not alone, but neither am I wedded." I answered. This conversation had gotten boring after having it with each possible employer.

"A lovely miss like ye, not married?" she stared me up and down. "What a shame."

And this is what usually followed. I had gotten increasingly creative at dealing with this, so I said: "I've been cursed, ma'am, to never find my one true love. I'm travelling with the Witcher, who's working to break the spell." And for added effect, I showed her my marked left wrist. She gasped, eyes wide and clasping her chest. Truly, it was so convenient that I stuck with this version of events. 'I've not met the right one yet' or 'I'm not one for marriage' just didn't do well here.

"Ye poor lass, I'm so sorry I asked." And of course I got the job, feeding the farm animals and watering crops with a wooden bucket.

The daughter of the fieldworker beckoned me inside their hut just before dinner time. A bit surprised, I followed her in. The hut was small, as all huts are around here, a soup was simmering in a pot over the fire. It smelled of onions. I wiped my sweaty forehead and followed her to the sleeping chamber, which held three simple beds.

"I heard ye were cursed from mama. I hope ye find a way to break the curse soon. Are ye scared to travel with the Witcher?" She was referencing my story of why I wasn't wedded yet, which every potential employer asked.

She sat down on one of the beds and motioned for me to sit opposite of her. I did.

"Thank you. I'm not scared at all, he's a very good man and he's been nothing but kind to me." I smiled at her. She fidgeted with the sleeves of her cotton dress. Her hair was dirty blonde and braided in a single braid down her back. "What's your name?"

"I'm Bridget. I called ye here because... I have something to give ye, an old dress. It no longer fits me and I have no younger sisters..." her voice trailed off and she looked at me. It seemed as she was seizing me up, similar to the way the drunken men in the tavern would. A shudder ran through me but not from cold. She had a pretty face, big, innocent eyes and a welcoming figure.

"That is so kind, thank you."

She rummaged around in the wooden chest by the bed and fished out a black overdress, with thin strips of black leather to tie the front. "Ye must be tired of travelling so much and having no clean clothes around like at home. Do ye want to try it on?"

I didn't like accepting her pity, but kindness was hard to come by in most villages, and I could indeed use a better dress. The one I was currently wearing was itchy and not fit for the warmer weather of spring. I found it, dirtied, in a bandit's hideout just after we were back on the continent. I'd rather not think of the fate of the person wearing it before me.

I started untying the strings of my own dress and Bridget stood up with me. Now we were nose to nose. She reached and grabbed my dress, to help me take it off. My breath hitched. Her doe-eyes could put a spell on me.

"There's no need-" I started, but she interrupted me with a chaste kiss on the lips. Just as quickly she pulled back to look at me. Then lifted my dress over my head and I stood in front of her in just my white chemise and stays. Her hands lingered. She looked at me again with the timidity of a virgin, and I decided that I wanted her. I kissed her again, then broke apart to say: "It is true, I'm unable find my true love. Are you certain?"

"I am." Bridget said and pushed me back on the bed. I landed on my elbows and crawled further to make room for her. She joined me. Her kisses were warm and her plump lips were such a pleasure to kiss.

I hope you enjoyed! Please let me know what you think!