Part fourteen: life continues as if nothing happened

Welcome again!

Thank you for reading <3

Part fourteen:

The only thing I was able to think of for the next few days was Gaunter, the merchant of mirrors and shady collector of souls (if that is what he does).

Geralt and I talked during breakfast and lunch. He needed to visit Novigrad to acquire the Borsodi house and I didn't feel like coming with. Unconsciously, I was waiting for Gaunter to come get me for another mission, but he didn't show up for more than a week.

It was a warm summer night, just after dinner, still light out, and I visited the gardens by the Academy. A familiar figure stood by one of the statues, admiring the craftmanship.

He spotted me before I had a chance to leave, his steel grey eyes capturing me. "Hey, Annabel! What a pleasant surprise." He said with a smile. He opened his arms for a hug, which I didn't deny. His scent was familiar, it put my mind at ease for a bit.

"Victor. I didn't expect to see you here." I smiled kindly, even though I felt guilty at not visiting him. "How have you been?"

"I've been well. And you? I wanted to thank you for staying with me that night. Let me buy you a good bottle of wine."

And of course, I, a fool, couldn't say no.

The night ended at his house, tangled in each other and the sheets. Afterwards I massaged his muscular shoulders. It had been good again, great even, but it was not amazing. Not being-eaten-out-by-O'Dimm-amazing.

"I hope I haven't hurt your feelings when I disappeared for a bit. I'm not a good person for commitment."

He grunted as I pressed my elbow in between his shoulder blades. "No harm done. You were clear that night, even though I wish you could stay longer." A silence followed, until I tired out my wrists and sank to the mattress. Victor kissed me, no teeth this time. He had been wonderfully rough again, and the mark on my hand had burned as if I had just received it. He always kissed with his eyes open and it intensified both my discomfort and the intimacy.

When I took a bath at the inn, there were a few marks on my neck and breasts. Fuck, I didn't notice him sucking that hard. It probably was the wine, which thins the blood and makes it easier to bruise.

A few more weeks went by. I enjoyed the slightly more refined tastes of the people at the Academy and I met Shani and a few of her colleagues. They got me odd jobs here and there. I made it clear to Shani I was just a travelling companion for Geralt and nothing more. It was so nice and so welcome to have someone to talk to. Not that I didn't talk to Geralt, but this was different. I shared my struggles of not knowing my future and not having a home. She, thankfully, never asked much about my past.

As for the romantic meetings I had, there was Victor once or twice, and a gorgeous woman who was a nude model for the Academy. She made it clear she'd rather remain anonymous and we shared a heated night under the stars and barely a full conversation. Being single was great. Except the pesky thoughts of a certain someone at the back of my mind and a stinging mark that would never let me forget.

Shani told me about wanting to invite Geralt to a wedding and insisted I'd come too. It didn't take her long to figure out there was a someone I had a crush on. She'd never guess, thankfully.

One day, we sat together in a bar, having some wine and good conversation. There was no music, it was only a small establishment with loyal patrons. The students of the Academy visit often since it's cheap and they don't thin the wine with water as much as other places. Shani told me about her difficult week, as a medic she really sees the worst aspects of the war. After this, I only listened and nodded, she asked me a question.

"How can you have so many lovers? Aren't you... scared something will happen?"

I shrugged, not immediately knowing what she meant. "If you mean what I think you mean; I'm infertile. It's part of the curse, but I don't mind. I like making new connections and being spontaneous with whoever I please. Some are fleeting, other's aren't. It's like... each moment with friends is very meaningful to me. With a lover, it's the same, but with more affections." I tried my best to explain. She nodded.

"I think I understand. Geralt is the same, in a way. With him, I never knew when he comes, and he always left too soon, which made every moment more intense, more meaningful." She fidgeted with her short, red hair. "He's not the right one, though. Still..."

"Yeah. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. But, Shani, you're an amazing woman. Love is all around you, even if it's in the form of work. Sometimes when I come pick you up to have dinner together, I overhear your colleagues talking about you. Nothing but praise."

"Thank you, Annabel. Do you want to get some air, take a walk maybe?"

"Of course." I nodded and stood up to leave the bar together.

Geralt arrived and shared tales of the heist for the Borsodi House over many tankards of beer. The wedding was approaching and Geralt told me how he planned on resurrecting Olgierds brother, Vlodomir. I knew from my previous life that O'Dimm would be there. And we would see each other. I tried to keep my cool, but sometimes my stomach would flutter with the prospect of seeing him again. There hadn't been any sign of him so far and I was worried that it would be very awkward. With how long he hadn't shown up, I'd think he'd have forgotten about me. Yet I knew he would never forget someone who owed him.