Part sixteen: The wedding, drinking mead, the lovely couple

Welcome back!

Hope you've been well :)

Part sixteen:

Geralt/Vlodomir and Shani were participating in the many kinds of entertainment. I'd rather not have someone fish my soaking wet shoe out of the lake, so I only watched with a smile on my face. After my little secret meeting with Gaunter, Shani sent me meaningful looks. My lips must've been a bit swollen. Thankfully Geralt didn't seem to notice, having only eyes for Shani. To give them a little more privacy and to gather my thoughts, I decided to walk around the area. It was nice to relax in a new environment. No bustling street life, only the sounds of people enjoying themselves.

Eventually I settled down underneath a tree, overlooking the lake. Dragonflies buzzed over the shallow water and rested atop lily pads. I couldn't stop a content sigh and rested my head against the rough tree bark.

"Ah, Annabel, there you are." A voice said. It was O'Dimm, he was smiling. He sat down next to me, resting his arm atop his propped up knee. "Hiding from the festivities?"

"Just thought it might be nice to give the couple some privacy." I smiled back and gave him a nod.

"You know, I've been a little curious about you. I still don't know where you came from. What you did before our first meeting." He was looking intently at me. Solving his little puzzle.

"Does that bother you?" I grinned. Must say I'm enjoying having such him guess. Not that I really know what happened, or how, or why.

He scoffed. "It's just unusual."

"Yeah, unusual, huh." I started picking blades of grass next to my legs. "You know what, I'll tell you something if you answer a question of mine." I picked small daisies and started to string them together.

Gaunter's gaze bore into me as I looked up after digging my nail into one of the stems. "Alright, I'll play." He gave a curt nod, his eyes twinkling and the corners of lips tugging upwards.

"So..." I trailed off, trying to think of a good question. "Why does the mark hurt when I'm intimate with others?"

Gaunter raised his eyebrows. "It does? That's interesting."

"You didn't know?" I threaded a daisy through the stem of another, yet I couldn't keep my eyes of O'Dimm and his relaxed posture. He took my left hand in his and examined the markings.

"What kind of pain is it? Does it sting, burn?" He traced them with his thumb, pushing up my sleeve to expose more of the mark. His touch tickled the small hairs on my arm, his stare made me nervous.

"It itches at first, sometimes it even tingles. Mostly it just stings."

"Does it feel... good?"

I blushed and looked at my hands. "Sometimes. With a certain... partner." And I didn't think before speaking again, heavens. If the ground would part and swallow me whole...

He raised his eyebrows further in surprise. "Interesting." His tone was a little higher than his usual deep one.

I made to stand up. "So uh- I'll be getting back to the party now."

"My turn for a question." Said Gaunter, while he pressed his hand on my shoulder to stop me from getting up. Could've seen this coming. Gaunter used the hand on my shoulder to lean past me and pluck a few flowers of his own, yellow ones. His posture was casual, yet his expression had a bit of an edge to it.

"Where are you from?" asked Gaunter.

Do I tell him? Would he lose interest in me if he finds out? He just wants to figure out the mystery, right? Yet I want to tell him. I want to trust him. It's lonely not to share this part of myself and never talk about my past. What is wrong with me?

I sighed deeply. "Not from here."

He leaned closer and tucked the yellow flower – celandine? – in my hair, beside the others Shani had already braided in. I examined his face as I smiled and he smiled back, a content smile. The sun hit his eyes just right and made the dark brown look golden.

"Not here – that much is obvious."

"Your answer wasn't really an answer either." I defended myself.

He simply shrugged. "Shall we continue this conversation another time? There is a wedding to attend for you."

I nodded, a little relieved, as I stood up and dusted myself off. Without thinking, I extended my hand to help Gaunter up, and he took it, although he didn't rely much on me to stand.

Now we were face to face, he held my hand and took a step closer. Our noses brushed against each other. I averted my gaze, the distance made it awkward to look him directly in his eyes. His warm breath tickled my lips and I had to mentally pinch myself to focus on something other than kissing him. Then I stepped away and the moment was broken.

The festivities continued. Never thought I'd see Geralt lose a game of Gwent and wear donkey ears for the rest of the night. We were having a genuinely great time, but a few pesky thoughts were at the back of my mind. What do I want from him? Is this just physical? I hoped to be able to avoid Gaunter for another good few weeks again.

I exited the barn, a little tipsy, just as I heard Shani say: "It seems I expected too much from this wedding. I get it, you have to get back to the path."

My heart stung for her and I stepped closer, prepared to give her a warm hug or some mead. I reached out and took her hand.

"Perhaps he doesn't need to go just yet. It just so happens I know the history you two share. Enjoy yourselves." said Gaunter, seemingly appearing out of thin air.

"But Annabel, will you-?"

I cut her off. "Yeah, I'll get back fine by myself. Or I'll find some sweet chap who is willing to lend me a bed, don't worry about me." I smiled and patted her shoulder encouragingly. Her eyes were bright.

"Even better," Gaunter chimed in. "I'll personally make sure she returns to the inn safe and sound." He grabbed my left wrist and dragged me away. "Come now, Annabel. We have some fun of our own to attend to."

I mumbled some protests, but waved the two goodbye with a grin on my face.