Part four: The sad man, a first deal

Music is by Edvard Grieg.

Art is by Jean-Charles Cazin, called Cabañas_del_Norte (1891).

I really like long dialouge apparently.

I hope you enjoy!

Part four:

The next day was similar to the previous one. Geralt went out to hunt, I didn't see him before I woke up. There was work as a barmaid in the tavern for a day since the usual barmaiden had fallen ill. During the work before the costumers came in; scrubbing tables, mopping the floor and preparing meals, I found my thoughts wandering to O'Dimm and what awaited me that evening. I hope I would have enough time to eat beforehand, but I guess, for a being that controls time, he would just have to wait.

During a solitary dinner, Geralt had not returned, I examined my fingers. They started to get rougher from the menial labour I'd been doing the past few weeks. A sense of pride arose in my chest, a strange mix as I thought back to my previous life as a student. I hadn't worked much, not like this. A nice change of pace.

Then a pang drummed through my heart, making me jolt upright. What if this is not a dream? I've treated it as one, but never before have I had a dream that lasted weeks. Never have I done so many annoying daily tasks in dreams, from putting on my stockings to going to the loo (which is quite primitive here), and even cleaning and eating. I felt my jaw clench as panic arose. If there's one thing the belief that it's all a dream was good for, it was making sure I didn't freak out.

But now I sure was.

I shoved the wooden plate away from me and stood up. "If the Witcher comes back, tell him I've gone out." I told the innkeeper. With long strides I walked outside, inhaling the fresh air deeply. The door fell heavily in its frame behind me, but I barely heard it. I kept walking and soon found myself by the crossroads and the willow trees. A gentle breeze made them sway, the wind felt nice on my skin. The sky darkened steadily, the moon shone from just behind the tree line.

I could really go for a smoke right now, instead I pressed my cold, sweaty palm on my chest, where my heart was hammering against the ribcage. "Fuck." I whispered and I crouched down as an alternative to sitting. My head swam, feeling a little dizzy.

"Greetings, Annabel." O'Dimms voice sounded as it always did. I pressed my hand harder to my chest. "Is this a bad time for you?" He walked closer to me.

I knew he was asking just for show, so I shook my head. "It's fine. A distraction would be welcome." I stood up, looking at him. A slight smile playing at his lips, his ever present merchant smile, and as my eyes travelled over his form, I saw the sunflower at his side. He had tucked it under one of the leather belts, next to the small knife. An artistic contrast. "You kept the flower." Surprise was evident on my face.

"Of course I have." His tone dismissive. "What has gotten you into such a state? A lover's quarrel perhaps?" He sounded amused, at my expense of course. I ruffled my hair and realised a few tears had slipped out of my eyes, my sight was a tad blurred. Softly, but instinctively, I muttered another curse. O'Dimm reached in the bag on his side and handed me a handkerchief. Without thinking, I reached out to take it. I pressed the soft, white fabric to my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Thanks. But I wouldn't cry over a lover." I said, then followed with a brave: "So where does the quest to repay my gratitude for your heroic rescue take us today?"