Part twenty: The End

Hello and welcome back. It has been a while. I hope you are all well and healthy.

This is the final chapter. It is a bit... experimental, but somehow the only ending that felt like an ending, if that makes sense.

I understand if you expected more, that is why it took me so long.

Part twenty:

The night was seemingly endless, and so was the bliss. My body was floating, my thoughts were abstract and eternal. Each touch, every caress... The night sky was without stars, only a silver moon shone unobstructed. I never thought I'd experience such a night. It was one from novels, but surely not meant for me.

Sleep came without a clear beginning. It was as if the state of floating was already another level of consciousness, so sleep came easy. I drifted farther and farther away from the ground, the moon, the sunflowers, from every tangible thing.

Can this last forever? This blissful moment...

A sudden weight on my chest knocked the breath out of my lungs. I awoke with a start, swatting at the object at my chest. Sun shone through the open curtains and I was met with displeased meows. Indeed, on my chest sat my dear cat Lilith. My truest friend. For a moment, my entire brain was blank. I was back in my one room apartment, drawings made by friends decorated the walls. I was tangled in the duvet that I inherited from my grandfather. Lilith kneaded her paws on my chest and curled up to have a nap – as if she hadn't just rudely woken me.

I checked my phone – my phone! – for the time. It was past eight, a Sunday. No classes today. I sighed and sank back into the mattress. There is time for a good cuddle, for sleeping in, for a lazy breakfast.

The more the reality set in, the less remained of the... dream, however realistic it was. I scratched Lilith behind her ears with my left hand as I went through my messages on my phone. My movements halted as I examined my left hand closer. Dark, scar-like markings wrapped around my wrist. Lilith mrew'ed in response to the lack of pets and I resumed, absentmindedly.

I had a feeling this was far from over.

So, that was it. A journey. I hope you've enjoyed, I certainly have <3

Thank you for reading!