Chapter 8 :"Panic Attack "

Arnav drove back to home, it felt strange to call it home this soon but Gauri had always been a part of him and driving back to her felt like he was heading back home, he didn't know whether to be grateful that her sister had met several people who crossed the line or worried about her that she discarded Gauri brother in law as a crazy  person and didn't ask Arnav anything further about the accusations .  

He noticed her missed call only after he bid good night to his sister and sent a quick text he was on his way , he didn't want to tell her about the idiot and the scene he caused  on phone . By the time he reached the house ,it was close to 10 PM .           

Gauri had given him the password for the door locks yesterday, that he let himself inside to find her pacing the floor . It was her gesture when she was nervous and he wondered if she had been worried about him or if she was worried that he may have spilled the beans regarding their marriage to his sister .

" Thankfully you left before Vinoth caused a scene, I was worried he would have spilled the truth to Kavya " Gauri spoke up the moment her eyes landed on him and something must have registered from his face that her face slumped in disappointment .      

" I take it ,he caused a scene " she asked quietly this time as if she was preparing for him to tell her that their marriage was no longer an secret .          

"He did cause a scene with several implied accusations but thankfully Kavya had her share of crazy persons that she didn't think too much about it ,our marriage is still an secret for now " he answered back , Arnav hated lying to his family but when he noticed how her face relaxed he felt himself relax as well .           

" Good Night Arnav ,you must be tired " She spoke up next, it felt like he was dismissed as she walked towards her room . He understood there was six years between them and he had no leg to accuse her of keeping the distance when it was his fault that broke them apart .             

Arnav parents got married when  they were young because his mom got pregnant with him while she was still in college ,they decided to marry to be able to give him a life and in the process Arnav felt they lost few years of their life where they could have been happy .              

He hardly remember much except that deep down he knew their parents never got a chance to enjoy their life  before they were thrust into the role of parents and three years later his sister was born . Arnav knew his parents were happy and they loved both of their kids with all their heart but to Arnav it felt like they had to grew up soon because of him .            

So from the time he was old enough to think ,he always thought twice before making a decision ,he didn't like taking risks and he always had a checklist and the foremost aspect in the list had been no marriage till he was 30 and Arnav wanted to live his life before finding a spouse .           

His Plan had been simple , join army as soon as he gets the degree and follow in his grandfather footsteps . Arnav's father couldn't do as his father because he was married by then and he had two people dependent upon him even when it was something he wanted to do  and yet all his plans derailed the moment he met his cousin best friend ,Gauri .       

And when he faced with the choice of playing it safe or taking a risk ,he choose to play it by his rules and ended up loosing her ,so he knew he had no right to be hurt by her dismissal yet found himself speaking up trying to keep her by his side for a moment longer .         

" How is Rahul ? ,did he sleep soon ? " Arnav asked her in a bid to have few more minutes with her and the questions did stop her from leaving as she turned  to look at him , in a small part of his brain , Arnav did want to know about Rahul but the bigger part of him worried if he was crossing the imaginary line Gauri drew between him and her son .