Chapter 8

Clarke POV
I rolled over in bed, still sleepy, looking over towards where my clock is.

7:45

Shit, I'm late. Of course, my alarm didn't go off when I need it to. I took one of the quickest showers of my life, grabbed what I could before pushing myself out of my apartment and towards where I parked my car.

I look down at my full hands and notice I'm missing my keys. Fuck. I turn to go back into the apartment but it was too late. The door to go inside had just closed and now there was no way in. I look back at my hands to search for my phone. Another item that seemed to be missing also.

Fuck

It's going to be a long weekend.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

After finally getting in contact with Raven, I got to work about 2 hours late. The staff didn't seem to mind considering I didn't have any major surgeries scheduled during the morning. They also didn't have many patients to pick up so that was also a bonus.

I took a 15-minute break a couple of hours into my shift, finally having the chance to check my phone after all the chaos that came with my morning. I sat down at a nearby bench while sipping my much-needed coffee. The first notification I noticed was Lexa's.

Lexa: I was not offended by your message, I just landed and saw your message. Let me know if you're still up to meet.

Fuck... I've really screwed up. I shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that she didn't want to talk to me. I don't know what gave me that idea, it doesn't matter because I want to slap myself silly. I quickly started to type a response, not needing her to think that I was ignoring her.

Clarke: i'm sorry about that... can we meet up sometime over this weekend?

Now that I think about it, I need that vest. I look too awkward in just navy scrubs. I don't look or come off as an actual doctor without it. There was always the option to buy another one... but that one had sentimental value. Something a new vest couldn't replace.

My phone vibrating shook me out of my thoughts. Dang, that was quick.

Lexa: I cannot this weekend, out of the country, my apologies. I have a ball to attend next weekend, would you able to attend with me?

My eyes close on myself from how shocked they were by what the message read. A ball? Who the heck is this Lexa person and why the hell are they going to a ball?

I haven't been to a ball since...
My father...
Back to when he was important.
Back to when he was here.
Back to when he was alive.

The last time I went to a ball was when my dad owned a big portion of a company. Balls weren't the only events we went to, we also went to charities and galas like crazy.

Whoever this Lexa is must be deep in the business world. Especially if she's out of the country for business. If that's the case then she definitely doesn't have much time on her hands meaning this ball was probably my only opening.

How badly do I need my vest? Enough to go to a ball for it? Attend to something I haven't gone to in years? Is it worth to bring back all the painful memories? Yes, it definitely is that important. Important enough to spend my time at a ball.

Clarke: yes sounds great to me. just send me all the details and i'll be there

After sending the message, I stood up to walk back to the hospital.

It was a beautiful day outside. I let my head hang back while I closed my eyes. I took in the scent of the leaves from the trees. I let the warm breeze hit my face slightly cooling me down. I slowly opened my eyes to take in the view. It was truly a beautiful day. Too bad my morning started off on the wrong side of the bed, today could have been a really good day...

========================================

Lexa POV
It's been almost a week since I left for a quick vacation. The vacation didn't help much with my internal conflict. I also didn't have the privilege of wasting time as I had a deal to tend to. I came back on the day as I planned after spending a couple of relaxing days in Venice. It has been by far one of the most beautiful places I've been to.

Throughout the vacation, Anya tried contacting me endlessly trying to apologize. She called every day at least six times and left me several messages. She even tried asking my assistant where I was staying in an attempt to fly out to me.

After I came back, I did my best to avoid Anya although it didn't last very long. She apologized several times but I haven't fully forgiven her yet. Now she only contacts me about the business but doesn't push my limit. She hasn't made any smart remarks or been rude in any way. I guess it's her way of apologizing and showing she really didn't mean what she said.

Clarke has contacted me a couple of times requesting information about the ball she was planning on attending with me. I gave her the basic information but not giving her the full details on what would be happening tonight.

I made sure my assistant reminded me of what time to go home to get ready and pick up Clarke. I've weirdly nervous although I don't know why. I've gone to balls before especially business-related. The deals in the bag, if anything this ball is more of a celebration for getting it done. What has me on edge? What is making me want everything to be perfect?