Chapter 14

Clarke POV
After a long needed shower, admiring the bathroom and walk-in closet, I walked over to her drawer to pick some clothes out. She did have a point when she said I loved being in her button-up. There was no way I could stay in it considering I'd have to leave... eventually.

I rummaged through her closet to find out that she didn't have any lazy Sunday clothes. How is that even possible? I eventually found some loose sweatpants along with an old oversized soccer jersey. I threw on the clothes and started to attempt to make my way downstairs.

I opened the door to head out and noticed how huge the place was. The rest of the hallway seemed to hold other guest bedrooms and a small office. Of course, Lexa has an office upstairs. I walked through the long hallway until I was greeted with a staircase.

I thought the master bedroom was big but it's almost nothing compared to what I see once I go down the spiral staircase. After going down the stairs, I see a high ceiling living room that houses a couple of couches, a television, as well as another fireplace. The living room had an open floor with glass walls like the bedroom. Everything in the room screamed sophisticated and rich. Most things in the room were white, grey, or pale colors that are mostly neutral.

There's a grand piano hidden in the corner behind the staircase, almost as if it wasn't meant to be seen. Being intrigued by the piano, I walked over to it and sat down on the bench. It seemed well taken care of and I was almost afraid to touch it.

I was so lost in everything around me that I didn't hear Lexa approach me until she was in my peripheral vision. She leaned against the piano while watching me stare at the keys. "Do you play?" Lexa asked quietly, so quiet I had to ask her to repeat herself. She said it once more, not moving her eyes from me.

"No, I've always wanted to learn but I never had the chance. Having a mom as a doctor and a business investor as a dad doesn't leave you much time to do what you want." I said sounding more bitter than anticipated.

"You could always learn, it's never too late to learn something new," Lexa let out as she moved to sit beside me. She sat down beside me leaving a fair amount of space between us.

"With the job I have and the number of days I have off, it seems like I'm never going to have the time to learn," I retaliated while I pushed a key down.

"You could make the time. If the hospital you work for truly desires to maintain you then they'll do what you plead," Lexa said as she positioned her fingers on the keys. "You have to acknowledge your worth Clarke, don't allow people to take advantage of you and your abilities," she finished saying in a soft voice.

"I'm guessing you know how to play?" I questioned her as she started to play a slow composition answering my question. I laugh at the way she answered my question.

I saw a smile creep on her face and I decided that Lexa smiling was the best Lexa I've seen so far. "I didn't learn out of love for it, but I've learned to love it for what it is," she said as she played on.

She continued playing softly, her fingers dancing across the keys, in a soft but yet deepening polyphonic. Her light touches against the keys allowed for pianissimo almost as if telling a sad story. Her fingers slowly hitting C, F, B in a low octave. Gradually, she started pressing a little harder and faster while harmonizing with a higher octave. She slowly approaches mezzo-forte as she continued throughout the unhappy story. She finally hit forte and stopped almost completely before completely decrescendoing in different notes from before.

It wasn't until she played the last notes, that she looked up at me instead of the keys. "Clarke, what's wrong?" she said as her voice was laced with concern.