chapter 10

Morning came and for a moment, last night's events felt like a dream I could brush off. But then, reality hit. The look in Dane's eyes flashed into my memory. He looked at me like I wasn't the person he thought I was. It was as if he was having some sort of internal battle with the thought of me. My subconscious felt that there was something really off about it. I had a sick feeling in my stomach, causing the hair on the back of my neck to stand up.

I shake it off, get up, and resist looking at my phone as I leave the house to meet Gabby for the afternoon of trying on ridiculous dresses.

Getting in my car and heading out to Melinda's, I reluctantly peer over at his house, noticing Dane's truck is gone.

Deep breath. Keep it movin'.

Pulling into the parking lot, an excited Gabby immediately runs up to me, pulling me into a tight squeeze that literally has my eyes bulging.

"Let's go get glamorous girl!""Gabs, you're way too excited for this," I chuckle at her.

At least her exuberant energy has the potential to pull me out of my sullen mood.

"You're not excited enough! C'mon there's champagne!" She squeals and jumps, pulling me across the parking lot, dragging me into the little dress shop.

She wasn't lying, my mom had pulled some strings to book us this appointment. Melinda's shop was phenomenal. It hosted mostly wedding dresses, but she did have bridesmaids dresses, mother-of-the-bride dresses, as well as event dresses. All of which were too much for a homecoming dance, however, I am the mannequin.

"Holy hotness!" I cry out, seeing my best friend in the most perfect maroon colored lace dress that fans out at the waist, "Your legs look incredible in that!" I comment, sipping my champagne.

"Think Jaxon will love it?" she asks with a nervous expression.

"I think he'll be thinking of how to get it off." I giggle back to her.

"Awesome, then it's the one!" She squeals, turning back into the tiny room to undress.

"Alright sweetie, I've pulled some looks for you on the rack, come on in and we can get you started," Melinda alerts me, coming up behind me on the bench I've been perched on.

Alright, let's get this over with.

I get into the dressing room and immediately feel regret.

"No. No. Oh hell no. Nope," I mumble to myself, flipping through frills, lace, and tulle.

Then, I see it. A plain, red, satin, spaghetti-strapped, midi dress with the perfect mid-thigh slit. Trying it on, it feels as if it was made for me. Doing a double take in the mirror, I decide there's no need to try anything else on, this is the one. Sophisticated, a little sexy, modest...me.

Purchasing our dresses, we proceeded to stop and grab lunch at a local cafe. Gabby told me all about the current drama unfolding over the picks for court, while we munched on the best croissant sandwiches this side of the city.

"Alexa thought Xavier was going to vote for her to be on court, but he totally didn't, because he's been secretly seeing Sammi, and already promised her his vote. It was crazy!" she bursts out dramatically.

"Girl, I can't even follow that," I giggle at her dramatic story, taking another bite.

"Well regardless, you already know I voted for you." She winks at me across the table.

"Ha! Probably the only one! Thanks though." I smile back at my bestie. "You know I got you too."

Truth is, I don't care for a second if anyone wants me up there or not. I've never tried to win that contest, but I've always tried my best to treat people with kindness and respect. That's more important to me than votes. Always has been, always will be.