chapter 14- pt. 1

After the breakdown at the tracks, I helped Dane pack up a bag and get some things together to hit the road. Where he was going, I had no idea. I don't even know if he knew, but a break from the existential darkening was required.

We walked to his truck together, which was parked on the other side of the block. As he threw his bag into the passenger seat, I began to panic.

"What about your phone? How will I reach you?"

"I'll grab it on the way out. It'll be okay, baby. Please don't worry about me," he says, grabbing me to his chest. I rest my chin there, looking up to my deepest love, my greatest mystery, absorbing all that was this moment.

"I'm going to miss you so much," I cry out to him. "Come back to me," I pleaded.

"It's the only reason I'm leaving. So I can." He brings his lips to mine.

We kiss in the most passionate way, giving everything we can into physical form, solidifying our deeper connection. And then, like the sun of an ending day, he was gone.

***

The rest of the evening I was a wreck. I was beyond spent, emotionally, physically, mentally. Pure exhaustion had seeped through me. I couldn't help but be worried for him, but I was left with literally nothing to do but wait. Wait for an answer to my never ending questions for the man that I thought I knew so well. I ached for him, his kiss, his touch, my home.

My alarm clock was piercing through my ears as I opened my eyes to the morning light. At some point in the night, I must've fallen asleep in my pool of tears. I reluctantly packed up my bag and headed for the door. Luckily, both of my parents had already left the house this morning, my mom for her Botox appointment and my dad for the hospital. Thankful that I wasn't forced to explain my swollen, red eyes, I got in my car and left for school.

"Damn, Dakota. You alright?" I turn the corner to see Gabby already visually taking in my depressive state.

There's just no getting around her or her curiosity.

"No. Can we talk later?" I ask, hoping to keep my impending facial flooding at bay.

"Of course! Oh my God, yes...later." She says with a wink and a smile, sensing the closeness of my breakdown.

"C'mon, let's get through gym class, then we can grab a bite to eat in the cafeteria. Brownie on me!"

Relief flooded over me for the chance to let my tears loose in the high school pool. We were swimming laps today and my bloodshot eyes could have been due to the chlorine and not the inevitable uneasiness filling my heart.

After showering and putting myself back together, Gabby and I made our way to the bustling lunch room. We sat with Jaxon, his cousin, Britney, and a few of his other buddies who were all already eating and immersed in deep discussion. The conversation was nice. Laughter filled the air as they talked about the devastation that overtook Colt when they announced Brock Berrett king of homecoming.

"You should've seen it Dakota! He fell to his knees when he heard the announcer!" Gabby laughs out.

"I would've paid to see that." I chuckle lightly.

"It was hilarious," Jaxon chimes in. "That douche really thought he had it in the bag."

"Don't be so mean Jaxon," Britney comments, joining in on the conversation..

"Oh pipe down, Brit. The only reason you say that is because you've got the hots for him." He laughs as her face gets red and she quickly tries to change the subject. She's so typical, defending the high school hottie just for the possibility of a chance with him. This is the reason these losers remain in some sort of power over everyone else. Just another sheep.

"Did you have a good time at the dance, Dakota?" one of Jaxon's friends asks me.

"I did." I smile, remembering the events of the evening.

"I don't even think I saw you there," he comments again.

"That's because she was there for all of five minutes!" Gabby chimes in, a knowing grin spreading across her face.

I grin mischievously back at her, knowing she knows exactly why I left and what transpired after it.

As the others continued talking about their evening and the drama that ensued at the after party, I found myself daydreaming of that night.

His hands all over me, his lips and tongue exploring, tasting, satisfying his desires. His gentleness with me, taking it slow and easy. Eyes, studying me for the slightest detection of discomfort or pain while fighting the urge to lose control. His sweet kisses, taking away the sting. The sting, becoming less and less painful. Changing into a pleasure I've never known. Feeling his heart beating out of his chest, listening to him tell me he loves me. Telling him I love him more than words. Watching his mouth fall open above me, staring into me through his dark locks hanging into his eyes. Then, seeing those eyes close tight...

DING

The bell rings, pulling me out of my steamy mindset. Palms sweaty and cheeks flushed, I pray no one hears my thoughts. We say our "laters" and finish our classes. Walking into the last class of the day, I notice the seat front and center is empty and my newly adopted seat next to Dane's is taken up by Sam.

"Okay, what's up with you?" I questioned him immediately. "Are you intentionally trying to piss me off!?"

Wrong day and time for this, buddy, I'm on one.

"Um, no. No um, I'm not." he stutters timidly, nervously adjusting his pencils on the desk before him.

"Well what's with the musical chairs then?" I yell in frustration.

"Dane was paying me to sit in that seat," he says, blinking before anxiously making eye contact with me.

I stand there, absorbing the words, understanding the situation. I'm such a fool.

Dane paid him to sit there so I would be forced to be next to him. He wanted this all along, this whole time.

God, I miss him.

I sigh, quietly sitting down after apologizing, embarrassed for my outburst, but not in the front seat.

In Dane's.