chapter 32

I left Dane's place that morning on a high. The look in his eyes and the overwhelming sense of calm I felt in his presence gives me all the energy I need for another day of classes. He never fails to make me feel the abundance of love he carries inside his heart for me. There's nothing more I want than to finish this day and get back to him again.

Walking to my locker, I spot a grinning Gabby leaning against a classroom door, toying with her dark curls between her fingers, talking to Jaxon. Spotting me, she abruptly ends her conversation with him, running over to greet me.

"Bestie! I missed you," she says, wrapping her arms around me in a firm embrace.

"I just talked to you like a day ago." I chuckle. "But who am I kidding, I missed you too."

"How are things?" she asks sincerely, pulling back away, holding me at arms length.

It's obvious to me "things" entail everything encompassing my relationship and the situation with Dane. We are more the same person than ourselves these days.

"They're alright...good days and bad, but overall good," I answer with a forced positive vibe, remembering our recent struggles.

"Glad to hear. I'm always thinking about you, and if you ever need to get away for a little girl's time just to relax and decompress, let me know. We could catch a movie or something soon?" she asks, casually leaning against the locker next to mine with hopeful eyes, her backpack effortlessly swung on one shoulder.

She can see right through me. That filter I apply every time I leave Dane and face the public for us, it's fading. I wonder how long I can ultimately hold it together. I've always been so good at pushing through, completing tasks, hitting deadlines, applying more of myself than I have, but this? This isn't just effort. It's emotions. And mine run so deep.

"I appreciate that, I could probably use it." I chuckle, closing my locker. "Besides, I really need to catch up on your little situation." I wiggle my brows playfully at her.

"Oh there's lots to tell." She nods while grinning. "Lots of juicy details. Lots of juicy other things..."

"Oh my God, I've heard enough already!" I laugh stopping her from divulging in all of her sexual escapades in one hallway conversation.

"I mean, you wanted to catch up. I'm just trying to keep it accurate," she declares, her smile stretching across her face.

"You're crazy." I shake my head at her.

I love the fact that I have this special friendship with Gabby. She has the ability to always bring me out of any funk I'm in or keep me laughing when life gets too serious as it recently has. Our differences in personality work to our benefit as we compliment each other well. She brings out my wild side and I reign her in when she goes off the rails. I know I can always count on her to be there for me and feel lucky to have her at this point in my life. Everyone deserves a Gabby.

We go our separate ways and head for a fun filled day of mundane classes. Hour by hour ticking by as I try my best to stay focused. I've been actively planning on applying to a few colleges but with my decision to swerve medical school and go into a new field, the idea of going off to college left me feeling a little uneasy. I'm not quite sure yet which direction I want to go. I mean, how do you plan out what you want to do with the rest of your life while being so young and inexperienced in the big world around you? It baffled me that anyone could really know who they wanted to be at eighteen.

The only thing that I know to be true is that I want to do something important. Change a life. Make a difference. Leave this world a little better than when I came into it. Imprint goodness. I'd have a better chance of riding a fire breathing dragon than finding a major that encompasses all of that.