chapter 17- pt 2

My life fell back into place as if nothing had ever fallen apart. Dane and I were stronger than ever and truly enjoying our time together as a couple. The inevitable conversation with my family came next and my worries about their reaction to our new relationship fizzled out.I didn't care anymore. I was happy. Unconditionally engrossed in my attachment to him. Nothing they could say would ever change that.

After talking to my parents at dinner and bringing up the fact that we were spending a lot of time together, they were shocked to say the least.

"Dane? As in, Pam's son? Next door?" My mother asks, yet again.

The disapproving look on her face was everything I'd anticipated.

"Yes mom...Dane." I smile.

"That's odd. You two seem to have nothing in common."

"Well, it works," I say sternly, making a show of my dominance in my decision making.

She purses her lips, shaking her head at me in disapproval.

"We've known each other forever, obviously. He's just the most amazing person," I say to the ceiling, the lovesick expression on my face inevitable.

My mother, looking quizzically at me, uncertain about this "phase" that she's sure I'm going through, continues to shake her head back and forth.

The oven time goes off, disrupting her thoughts as she makes her way to the kitchen to pull out the freshly baked apple pie she prepared for dessert. My dad and I, being left at the table, share a grin.

"You know, I remember when you two were just kids, sneaking out of the house to walk the tracks at night," he whispers with a half grin.

"You knew about that!?" I ask in complete, horrified shock, a laugh escaping me.

"I did." He nods, grinning ear to ear.

"Why didn't you ground me!?" I'm shocked by his admission.

"I only saw you do it a few times and you always seemed so genuinely happy. I knew you weren't doing anything illegal and you always came back shortly after you left. Couldn't find it in me to tell your mother." He winks at me.

Well what do ya know.

"Anyways, why don't you bring him by the house and we'll have dinner Friday night," he suggests.

"Really?" I ask, feeling overwhelmingly happy and relieved of his approval.

"Yes, of course. He obviously means a lot to you and I'd love the chance to get to know him better. I mean, you are my baby girl and all. It's my place to put some fear into him." he comments, attempting to be serious and tough, but cracking a bit of a smile.

His reassurance in our newfound relationship was comforting to me and I felt a slight weight had lifted off my shoulders.

***

The next task at hand was another situation I needed to confront. I had to have the unfortunate conversation with Asher to clarify our awkward exchange in the school hallway with Dane.

The church Thanksgiving dinner was upon us and I wasn't going to let something so trivial ruin the opportunity to help out. That, and I always feel the need to honor my commitments. Who would I be without my word?

Asher seemed surprised to see me pull into the church parking lot. Hoping to clear the air before being in one another's awkward presence for hours, I make my way to the front door to pull him aside for a conversation.

"Hey Dakota, so happy you came!" he says, beaming, as I approach him and his family. "Mom, Dad, this is Dakota. She offered to help us out today." he declares proudly.