chapter 11- pt.1

Dane.

There he was. Looking almost unrecognizable. Waiting here for me, wearing an all black, fitted suit made just for him. His dark hair, slicked back in the most desirable way, somehow highlighting those deep chocolate eyes, those sharp cheekbones, that strong jaw. He looks as if he stepped off the pages of Vogue and into Washington High.

I grasp the hand held out for me and with the other, he hands me a single red rose.

"Roses always did seem like the perfect combination of beauty and edge." he comments, grinning, while eyeing the thorns.

"Kinda like us?" I ask softly, my eyes staring into his.

He smiles his perfect dimpled smile, nodding at me as licks his lips and I'm putty before him.

"God, Kodi, you look...well," he starts while observing my face, hair, and dress, before continuing, "there isn't a word on this earth that could define all that is you."

My stomach flips at his choice of words. The butterflies are alive and well inside of me, turning me into a mush of emotion.

Gabby approaches us with Jaxon in tow, giving Dane a double take. Her mouth drops as Jaxon pulls her along, laughing knowingly as he gives Dane a head nod, insinuating he must've played a part in this. She looks back to me one more time with the "oh my God" face. Obviously, she's thinking what I'm thinking, this man right here is beyond exquisite.

He pulls me into him, wrapping his strong hands around my lower back, then brushing the back of his hand against my cheek. The smell of sweet mint, with a woodsy spice cologne, encompasses me. I look up at him, my heart so full.

"You came, for me," I whisper, looking straight into those piercing eyes.

He bends down, his head next to my ear before softly running his lips over the shell.

"The world may laugh—may call me absurd, selfish—but it does not signify. My very soul demands you," he whispers softly, his warm breath on my skin sending chills down my spine.

Another perfect Jane Eyre quote. He's killing it in the devastatingly charming department. I'm coming undone at his words alone.

Making our way inside, everyone tries to get a look at the newest GQ model making his entrance to the homecoming dance. Students whisper in disbelief, girls giggle flirtatiously at him.

This one's mine girls.

I smile to myself, noticing how none of this seems to be affecting Dane in the least. His eyes are on one thing and one thing alone. Me.

As suspected, students are scattered all throughout the chintzy, economically decorated gymnasium with a lingering odor of alcohol and cheap perfume in the air. Girls are dressed to the nines and most of the boys were surprisingly able to clean up for their dates. The DJ is set up at the front of the gym, blasting the latest techno mixes to the flashing lights as people are starting to dance together on the dance floor.

We walk around the place, hand in hand, taking in our environment in entirety. Pausing in place, Dane starts guiding us to the dance floor, when the bumping bass of the DJ fades into a familiar song. A song that hits me right in the gut.

Coldplay, "Sky Full of Stars."

Dane's instant smile fades into a look of passion as he brings me into him, understanding the meaning of the words behind the song as much as I do.

The lights flash and everyone sways around us, yet all we see is each other under our stars. He gently cups my face, parting his lips as he lowers them to mine, connecting in a sweet, passionate kiss. We stand there, holding each other in the middle of the room, tongues dancing, totally oblivious to the world around us. Completely consumed in one another. He parts from me, breathless. His pulse racing, our foreheads still connected, as we slowly dance till our song comes to an end. Tonight is our fairy-tale.

"Let's go talk," I suggest, taking his hand, as he nods back to me, and guides us off the dance floor.

We walk over to one of the round tables at the back of the gymnasium. He kindly pulls out a chair for me, helping me down while dragging a chair directly in front of me. Sitting down, his legs on both sides of mine, he licks his lips as he grabs for my hand in his.

"I thought you hated all of this," I question while gesturing around the room.

"I do." He laughs. "But I know it means something to you, and you deserve to have this moment."

How can one person be so loving? His consideration for me coming before himself and his wants.

"You're an incredible soul, Dane Dillon," I say, squeezing his hand in mine.

He beams at me, looking genuinely happy.

"You're pretty amazing yourself, Dakota Silver," he replies, while bringing my hand to his lips for a soft kiss.

What he doesn't realize is that it wouldn't matter what event we were at, just being with him, like this, is everything to me.

Eyeing the rest of the gymnasium from our seats, I spot Gabby and Jaxon swaying together on the dance floor. She peeks over to me grinning from ear to ear. Raising her eyebrows playfully at me I wink back at her.

I take notice of Colt talking to a group of guys over by the food and beverage table. His date makes her way over, trying to pull him onto the dance floor with him, when he turns to her, yelling something out. She sighs in defeat with her arms crossed over her scantily dressed body, as he turns back to the guys, continuing his conversation. Noticing she still hasn't left he ends up smacking her on the ass in front of his friends, as she runs off embarrassed, while the guys high-five him.

Narcissistic prick.

Shaking my head and shifting my view back to my date, I take in the fact that his smile seems to have shifted into an entirely different mood. If I didn't know him any better, I'd guess it was a look of worry. What happened? What changed? Dane doesn't get nervous or worried, especially around the lacking personalities of high school students. His words.

He pinches the bridge of his nose, shaking his head as his elbows hold him up on his knees..

"Are you feeling alright?" I ask with legitimate concern. He looks side to side, then back at me with a pained expression, as if non-intentionally alerting me to some sort of discomfort.

"I'm sorry baby, it's just...there's so much noise. So much going on in here." He rubs his forehead with his thumb and forefinger, attempting to alleviate some sort of tension.

"Well, let's go get some quiet then," I state, with an empathetic smile.

Standing up, I offer my hand to him. He looks at it, grabbing it with a tiny appreciative grin pulling at his lips before standing along with me.

"You sure? We've only shared one dance and court is about to be announced."

His concern with happiness is apparent. But, let's face it, he knows I hate this overly dramatic display of egotistical personalities. The self absorbed, conceited energy of Colton and the like are enough to have me running for the parking lot.

Slowly studying him up and down, my eyes trailing his tall frame in that painted-on suit, I bite the corner of my lip, grinning as if I'm eyeing a plate with the biggest slice of chocolate cake I can't wait to devour.

"Yeeeep. I'm sure." I say, eliciting a laugh from him.

We head for the door, leaving all things superficial behind us. The dance, the homecoming court, the mingling and gossip. None of that matters to me. Spending some alone time with the only person who truly understands me far surpasses all of it. We leave, never looking back.

Going forward, we fall into an entirely new domain, one in which our souls were made from the same star. Not even the inevitable collapse could dismantle our burning core.