chapter xi

The next day, Sunday, I get up at the crack of dawn, wake up Bella and drive us to La Push. She's still asleep in the front seat when I drive down the winding roads stop. I don't know what made me stop here but I found myself stopping in front of Sam's house. I leave my door open so the sound doesn't wake Bella and jog to the front door. I knock on the front door and a beautiful woman with jet black hair and a kind smile answers the door, "Hello. I'm Emily and you are?"

I look past her to see if I could hear my brother but only hear the sizzle of a frying pan. I smile at this beauty, "Hi Emily. I'm Kota, Sam's little sister. Have you seen him?"

She frowns at the mention of my name for God knows what reason and starts avoiding my eyes shaking her head no. I growl, feeling a wave of heat rush over my body and it feels as though something is about to explode from inside of me, but I take a very deep breath. "Well when you see him next, could you please tell him that I need to see him because I'm really getting sick and tired of his bullshit. Thank you. It was lovely meeting you." I stomp back over to my truck, suddenly feeling to hot for my hoodie so I rip it off over my head leaving me in my black leggings and my sports bra as I drive Bella and I to the Black Residence. 

I gently shake Bella's shoulder to wake her when we get to Jake's, leaving my jacket in the truck, walking into the garage and start laying out our parts on a blanket. Jacob excitedly runs into the room with a sleepy Bella shuffling in shortly after, both looking at me like I'm crazy for working in my sports bra and leggings in January. Jacob and I move our parts to the corresponding bike excitedly, piecing them together, Bella watching with no clue what's going on.

Jake and I finally finish working on our busted fuel lines when Bella breaks our intense working atmosphere, "If we're going to be working on this every day, we should probably include some homework. Don't want the Dads to think I'm a bad influence on you."

We look at each other and laugh hysterically but Bella looks at us unamused and confused as of what's so funny. Jacob gets his laughter under control, "You influence us?"

I snort waving a dismissive hand in Bella's general direction, "Please."

I scoot my stool over from in front of my bike to Bella's to check her fuel line to see Bella's slightly offended face, "I am older than you."

Jacob snorts, "Age ain't nothin' but a number."

"And I convinced you to build two-wheeled death machines," Bella continues, trying to convince us she had some type of influence over us.

I start laughing, seeing that her fuel line was intact, "Actually that was me and both the parentals know as much."

"Yo, Jake, you in there?" A voice yells from outside the garage.

I get up and grab a rag to wipe off my hands as Bella abruptly sits up and looks as if she needed to leave. Jacob laughs at her reaction, "It's cool, it's just my boys."

On cue, two boys about Jake's age enter. One of Jake's friends is short and stocky with short hair. The other is tall and thin with chin-length black hair. The one with longer hair says something first, "Hey, Jake."

They stop walking towards us and the bikes when they see me. Why would they stop when they saw-Oh shit I still only have my sports bra on. Well there is no going back now. The two guys share a smile. Jacob sees their shared look and scowls at them, as though he knew exactly what they were thinking, "Hey. This is Kota and Bella. Guys, that's Quil and Embry."

I reach out my hand and shake theirs as Bella keeps her arms tightly folded across her chest. Quil smirks at Bella, checking her out, then turns his attention to me, "So the bike building story is true."

I look at Jake tilting my head like a curious puppy, when I get an embarrassed look I flip my curly blonde ponytail over my shoulder laughing, "Taught him everything he knows."

Embry and Quil look me up and down, softly chuckling at my joke. Quil, though I'd never met him before today seemed very familiar to me but I couldn't quite place why, quickly looked at Jake with a mischievous smile before redirecting it at me, "What about the part where you're his girlfriend?"

Bella, for whatever reason, found that question extremely funny and starts laughing hysterically, the first time she's laughed in 4 months. Though I wasn't as appalled by the question as Jake was, clearly constructing the best way he could murder his friends, I felt the blood rushing to my cheeks as I shook my head in denial, "Oh, we're just friends."

Embry contains his laughing enough to add, "Ooh. Burn."

Jacob looks between me and his friends overly embarrassed and I can't help but laugh at it because I know that Jake wouldn't see me like that so his reaction is truly hilarious. He stammers, pulling his long ebony hair in a hair tie, "I said she's a girl and a friend. My best friend."

Quil smirks seeing that his plan to embarrass Jake was working, looking to his friend, "Embry, you remember him making that distinction?"

Embry slowly shakes his head, enjoying this too, "Nope."

Bella hasn't stopped laughing since Quil's question about me being Jake's girlfriend and hearing her laugh makes me feel so much better about letting her work on this with us, even though she's paying for parts that she's going to inevitably end up crashing.

I take my hair down, shaking out my hair, "Wow so I'm guessing you guys have girlfriends." Knowing all too well that Jake told me that Quil is taking his cousin to the Prom again this year.

Jacob laughs loudly getting Bella's attention, "Right. Quil took his cousin to Prom."

Embry chuckles too. Quil looked at Jake with a fake plastered smile, "Yeah, that's still a riot. You want funny, Black? I'll give you funny."

Quil drops his shoulder making a run at Jake, with he dodges. They start fake wrestling each other and Embry saunters over to Bella and I, "I got five bucks on Quil."

I shake my head at his arrogance snorting, "You're on."