chapter xli

"Look, I solved a problem. You were leaving. What did you expect me to do?" Jacob defends our actions to Bella and Edward. 

 Bella's crimson eyes flicker from anger to fear and back, "You don't realize the danger you've put him in. The Volturi will kill anyone who knows about us."

"No, I didn't tell him about you. Just us. I only said you were different," Jake repeats, attempting to provide her comfort in the fact that he blatantly disregarded their feelings and wishes.

"And you let him?," Bella snarled at me, realizing the pronoun Jacob used.

I raise my hands in surrender, "He just had me expose myself to Charlie, something I was perfectly okay with keeping from him. I told him what he needed to hear and he chose to believe it. I even said Ness is your niece who you adopted."

"I mean, seriously, Jake, he's not just gonna let that go," Bella growled at Jake, knowing I would do anything to protect her and Charlie.

"Did you consider the physical pain he'll put Bella through? It'll be like sticking a white hot branding iron down her throat. And that's assuming she can control her thirst," Edward provides, scaring me for the encounter to come.

"Look, Charlie's been in hell. And I know you'll be much happier with him in your life," Jacob prompts, again justifying his passion driven impulses. 

Edward looks at me, reading my minute facial expressions and seeing the anguish for having to tell my Uncle of my state of being, "Jacob, don't try and pretend you're doing this for anyone but yourself."

"Sorry you feel that way because he'll be here in 10 minutes," Jacob reveals, shocking the pair of vampires.

"What?" They gasp together before speeding into their home, leaving me behind with Jake.

When Jacob and I find the Cullen coven, we see the Cullens help Bella get prepared to meet Charlie. Alice places dark brown contact lenses on Bella's dark red eyes, "These will irritate your eyes at first."

 Carlisle nodded, watching Bella shudder due to the lenses' presence on her eyes, "The main thing is not to move too fast." 

 "Try taking a seat. Crossing your legs," Esme suggests. Bella gets up to take a seat across the room, but she moves way too fast and slams herself  into the seat. The only part of that action even remotely resembling her former self being the chair moving as she tried to take a seat. Esme chuckles, seeing the amusing dancing in my eyes, "Maybe a tad slower. Hmm."

"And blink at least three times a minute," Alice provides, cueing Bella to start blinking rapidly. Alice shares a concerned look with Edward, "Good."

"For a cartoon character," Jake and I snicker together, watching this unfold from the couch.

 Carlisle smiles at us then back to the Newborn, trying to coach her through the pain to come, "Hold your breath. It will help with the thirst. Just don't forget to move your shoulders so it looks like you're breathing." Bella starts moving her shoulders up and down, mechanically and forced. 

"And don't sit so straight. Humans don't do that," Rosalie advises Bella, suddenly making me very cognizant of my own posture. Jake rolled his eyes at my fixing myself, mentally reminding me of the time I balanced a Harry Potter book on my head while doing household chores.