chapter l

"Hey, Kota Merry Christmas!" Paul yells merrily as he marches into my living room, audibly plopping down onto my couch which I heard from my bedroom.

Buttoning up the last button on my favorite flannel shirt that I stole from Jake last December, I quickly look myself in the mirror over before meeting him in the living room, "Hey Hothead, Merry Christmas. I'm not saying it's not a pleasant surprise to see you but why are you here, I've gotta be at Charlie's in 20 minutes?"

Paul pulls out a brown package out of his jacket and hands it to me, "I know it's not much but I wanted to get you something. You mean a lot to me and I wanted to ask you something."

"Anything."

Paul smiles at me, taking the package out of my hands and carefully puts it on the end table as he slips his large rough hands into mine, "Kods, there's always been something about you that caught my eye and then when I saw you that night in the clearing it all made sense, I'm supposed to be with you. Not because our Ancestors said so but because you're truly amazing. How many girls your size is willing to pick a fight with me and Jake when we're both about to Phase? Anyways, I love you and I want to be with you. Will you go out with me?"

My breath hitches at the question, I nod smiling like the Cheshire Cat. He smiles equally as bright, happily pressing his lips onto mine. "What would you have done if I said no?" I laugh as I pull away, remembering I have to be at Charlie's soon.

Paul thinks the question over, framing in set jaw with his thumb and index fingers. When he finally answered, he simply raised his shoulders, "Wait until you left and wallowed in self-pity."

"Well it's a good thing I said yes then, isn't it?" I open the door, trying to hurry to Charlie's before I'm late. "You wanna come with me?"

"Anywhere."

Right as Paul and I pull up in front of Charlie's Bella and her caravan from the Cullen residence, including Seth and Leah, pile out of their vehicles and make way to the front door where Charlie and Sue wait patiently for us. We each greet each other with a hug and pleasantries as we converge in the living room where the tree is.

Paul sits on the couch, wedged between the Clearwater siblings, playing with the ends of my hair as I look out the large window that's beside the Christmas tree, "The snow is sticking."

"Hey, we still have today," Paul whispers down, tenderly kissing my warm forehead as I begin to stress eat whatever Sue decided to put on the plate in front of me.

Charlie walks into the room, yelling over our scattered conversations to get everyone's attention, "All right! Present time! Let's go! Seth, Leah, Kota, Paul stop eating. Jake, you start. Get it going."

"Why do you gotta call me out like that, huh?" I playfully grumble, my mouth full of the chocolate chip cookie that I had just shoved into my mouth, making Renesmee giggle at me and my childishness. "So rude Uncle Charlie."

Jacob rolls his eyes at me as he quietly passes a present to Renesmee as Seth and Leah begin to bicker behind me, making Paul become annoyed with them fairly quick. "What did you get me?"

Leah frowned at her pestering little brother, who isn't more than 16 now, "I'm not giving you anything."

"Hey! No, come on, what did you get me?" Seth nudges my butt with his foot, catching my attention from Jake and Renesmee to him.