chapter xlvii

Jacob and I were elected by the Packs to teach the new members how to control themselves while Phasing as well as in their day to day. Probably because I'm most experienced in controlling my emotions and Jake is the Alpha of his Pack. Since the new vampires have come to the Cullen's, four new boys joined the Packs, their ages ranging from 12 to 17.

Jacob and I lead them far into the forests that back the Cullen territory, Jake was laughing at the joke he was making, "Now, you guys can do some serious damage. Which is why you'll need to control your phasing. If your mom pisses you off, you don't want to tear her head off."

Suddenly I stopped, hearing two sets of feet coming fast from deep inside the woods. Their scents were faint but strong enough for me and Jake to recognize that they were vampires and that they weren't any of those we knew. "Whoever's coming wasn't invited."

We Phase into our wolf counterparts and run into the forest with the young wolves following behind us, when they catch up to us they too join the chase after the two vampires, obliging to their nature's need to hunt the cold ones. The pair jump up into some trees, far out of our collective reach, then jump down to sit on some rocks and begin to mock us when Carlisle and the other vampire meet us and the treed Vamps.

Carlisle looks up at the pair, clearly knowing who they are, "Vladimir, Stefan, you're a long way from home."

"What are they doing here?" Sparky hisses to the Cullen fatherhead, snarling at the pair Carlisle addressed as Vladimir and Stefan.

The platinum blonde smirked down at me and Jake then to the Vampires, addressing them in a heavy Transylvanian accent like the stereotypical ones portrayed in media and cinema, "We heard the Volturi were moving against you. But that you would not stand alone."

"We didn't do what we were accused of," Carlisle reassured them as he motioned to me and Jake to stand down.

The blonde waved his hand dismissively, rolling his eyes as though he truly believes that Renesmee is an Immortal Child, "We do not care what you did, Carlisle."

"We have been waiting a millennium for the Italian scum to be challenged," the brunette adds, his tone pleased with the audacity of our gall.

Carlisle, too, rolled his eyes at the commentary coming from Count Dracula 1 and 2, "It's not our plan to fight the Volturi."

The blonde sucked his tongue, a look of disappointment slowly becoming more evident, "Shame. Aro's witnesses will be so disappointed."

"They enjoy a good fight," the other chuckled.

"Aro's witnesses?" Eleazar asks on behalf of all of us within hearing range of the creepy Transylvanians.

"Aww. Still hoping they'll listen?" Dracula 1 taunted.

After allowing Jake and I to Phase back and put on some new clothes, the entire coven and the witnesses gathered in the family room. We all look to Eleazar, who acted as a part of the Volturi a few centuries ago to find vampires with gifts for Aro, "When Aro wants someone from a coven it's never long before evidence turns up proving that coven committed some crime."

"So he's done this shit before because he needed a new toy?" I rhetorically ask, earning a snicker from Jake to my right and from all but the moody tracker that Carlisle brought, Alistair.

Eleazar smiles at me, suppressing his amusement as he continued, "I guess you could say that. It happens so rarely, I never realized it was a pattern."

Carlisle nods his head in agreement, "Apparently he always pardons one person whose thoughts he claims are repentant."

"This person always has an ability. And they're always given a place with the Guard," Eleazar finishes for Carlisle, both have seen it take place before in their lifetimes.

"This is all about Alice. He has no one like her," Edward and I say together, scaring myself and Jake with the action.

Bella stares at us, finally arriving to the same place we are, "Which is why she left."

"Why does he need witnesses?" Emmett asks gruffly, leaning his solid shoulder onto the bookcase.

Alistair scoffs as though the answer to the previously asked question was an obvious one, "To spread the word that justice has been served. After he slaughters an entire coven."

"It's like hunting in a Pack. You send out your fastest to take down the prey then you send in the strongest to finish the job," I mumble to myself, thinking aloud, only to find 26 sets of eyes ranging from crimson red to chocolate brown staring at me which only made me shift uncomfortably and curse myself for speaking aloud where people could hear.

Amun arose from his seat then turned to look at his mate and the other couple in his coven, "Benjamin, Tia, we're leaving."

Edward scoffed, getting his attention, "And where will you go? What makes you think they'll be satisfied with Alice? What's to stop them from going after Benjamin next? Or Zafrina or Kate or anyone else with a gift? Anyone they want. Their goal isn't punishment, it's power. It's acquisition. Carlisle might not ask you to fight, but I will. For the sake of my family. But also for yours. And for the way you want to live."

There's a moment of silence as the vampires look at each other, then without hesitation Jacob and I stand up from our spots. Jacob straightens this pants as he announces, "The packs will fight. We've never been afraid of vampires."

"Here here. I wanna make this the last time we fight for you people," I laugh, looking pointedly at my cousin and her coven.

The Delani's stand too and the leader of their coven, Tanya, announces that they too will fight. Garrett gets up with Kate, wrapping his arm around her shoulders, "This won't be the first time I fought a king's rule."

Benjamin looks to Edward, taking Tia's hand, "We'll join you."

"No," Amun demands, looking as though his head would explode at any moment.

Benjamin stands his ground, "I will do the right thing, Amun. You may do as you please."

Senna and Zafrina arise as well. Zafrina tends to communicate nonverbally in the presence of men which I've yet to discover as to why that is, so Senna speaks for the both of them, "We will stand with you."

Siobhan and the Irish Coven stands as well immediately followed by Peter and his group of nomads, "So will we."

Edward and I share a look of appreciation before he simply adds, "Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

"We'll see," Alistair grumbles as he slinks out of the room to God knows where.

As his back is turned to us, I make a mocking face at him and grumble in the same way he did, "We'll see." Making everyone who heard and or watched me giggle, diffusing the tension of the war cry we just called against the Volturi.