chapter xxxviii

I don't stop running until I see Embry, Jared, Quil, Brady and Paul, thinking of about a dozen ways this whole rendezvous could end. When I come into view sprinting past a big oak tree, Paul suddenly stops walking to their meeting site,  clearly shocked to see me after me ignoring them and disappearing for the past few days.

"Embry!" I yipped loudly as I ran into him, wrapping my arms tightly around him, happy to see my best friend for the first time in days.

"Why is she here, Embry?" Paul venomously spits at him, clearly jealous that I ran into Embry's arms and not his.

"I'm here because this pertains to me, Paul. And because I can be. This is my family, both the Pack and Bella and I'm not going standby and allow you all to kill each other," I explain before turning to see Jacob through the trees. He must have seen me too because almost instantly I received a six word text from him.

New Message: Jake
I have a plan, trust me.

"I wanna talk! Be easier if I could hear you, too," Jake yells, cupping his hands around his mouth.

I step out of the treeline so we could have a better view of each other and the rest of the Pack follows in suit. Paul stands beside me, spits to the side, "This isn't your territory anymore. How's the new family working out?"

I slap him in the stomach, hissing, "Be nice."

Jacob chuckles, grateful for my presence because it would undoubtedly end in a pissing match between him and Paul about everything, "You done?"

Quil walks into view, scowling at Jake and his Pack of two. He'd never admit it aloud but he really was hurt when Jake picked Bella and the Cullens over the Pack, seeing it as a betrayal. "You coming home, Jake?"

Jacob shakes his head no, "Not until I finish this."

Paul looks at me, trying to see if I know what he's talking about but found the same look of curiosity etched onto my expression, "What do you mean?"

I met Jake's eye and he winks at me to tell me that here is where his plan comes into play, meaning I had to react to whatever he had to say. Jacob hardens his face, meeting Paul's dark eyes with his own, "I want Sam to take back Leah and Seth."

He wants to get the Cullens away from prying eyes... Leah and Seth freak out, yelling for Jacob to stop trying to give them away but Jacob hisses, "Quiet! I want them safe. And I want this over. I need Sam to wait until Bella's been separated from the problem."

Oh my God, he's a genius. He's going to keep the Pack away until she's changed and gave birth to give her a chance at life. I could kiss him for his genius, could. If it worked, I undoubtedly would.

"You mean till she's dead," Paul scoffs, making the admiration I have for Jake become replaced with a burning sensation in my stomach.

I ball up my fist, getting ready to swing at him for his insensitivity, but Embry sees this and catches my wrists, "Ease up, Paul."

Paul quickly looks to me, silently apologizing, then back to Jake, "Then what?"

"Tell Sam that when the moment comes, I'll be the one to destroy it," Jacob growls in a low voice, dropping his smoke and mirrors. Even I'm not dumb enough to believe Jake will kill that baby because all he wants is Bella's happiness.

"Jake!" Seth and I gasp in horror. He's genuinely shocked by Jake's empty promise and believes he'll do it but I, on the other hand, am acting as though I believe him to make his lie seem that much more believable because if I of all people didn't react to that, no one would have believed it.

I step towards my friend, like I was ready to attack him for his words, but both Embry and Paul put a hand in front of me to stop me. Whether it being that they didn't want me to kill Jake or that they wanted him to follow through with his fake plan, neither wanted me to attack. Seeing that he got their attention, Jake smirks looking at Paul, "I'm the only one who can. They trust me." 

As soon as Jacob said that the Cullens trust him, Sam and Collin howled telling us that this was a diversion for Dr. Cullen to eat so he could deliver Bella's baby. The Pack starts running back to Billy's place as per Sam's order but Embry, Quil and I lingered behind seeing Jake's smug smirk. "This better pay off, Black," I laugh, shaking my head before Quil, Embry and I start running to Billy's.

Paul went on Patrol to watch the Cullens, now not trusting the Cullens even more after Jake's diversion. By the time Sam's entire Pack was at Billy Black's, the wheelchair bound man follows the Alpha out of his house, "I don't care what he's done. He's still my son."

Sam stops joining us, "I'm sorry, Billy. I just thought you should know." I growl at Sam, turning to leave and warn Jake until a vibration came from my pocket.

New Message: Seth
Bella went into labor. You were right, baby girl. Bella didn't make it, I'm so sorry.

After reading the last sentence in Seth's short text message, I fall to the ground crying as Paul emerges from the woods and runs to Sam, whispering in his ear. Sam sees me on the ground crying, confirming the intel Paul had collected while observing the Cullens, "Bella's dead. It killed her. Let's go!"

The Pack Phases and sprints to the Cullen house ready to fight and or kill some Cullens.  "IF ANY OF YOU TOUCH THAT BABY, I WILL KILL YOU. I'M THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED TO TOUCH HER! YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!" I scream as I advance to the Cullen home, my vision blurring from the angry tears that brim my eyes.

We surround the glass house, ready for a fight. Jasper, with his hungry black eyes look frantically at our surrounding them, "We're outnumbered."

Alice nods, staring at me, silently pleading with me to help, "By a lot."

Edward and I share a look, he tried to change her but he needs time to let the venom spread.  I don't know if that was my grief talking, trying to manifest a new reality but I chose to believe it as Edward barely audibly tells his adoptive family, "I won't let them hurt my family."

God I really hope he did it in time, no one's killing my family. Never thought I would be praying for a Cullen to have successfully transformed my cousin into a vampire but desperate times, call for desperate measures. The wolves attack them, lunging at the three vampires. Paul takes a bite at Edward and I slam him into a tree, "WHAT THE HELL KOTA?!"

I growl at him before going to run over to Alice to help her fend off Jared and Colin, "LEAVE THEM ALONE! BELLA ISN'T DEAD, SHE'S CHANGING!"

I scream at them as Jacob jumps into the fray of the battle, "Stop! It's over! If you kill her, you kill me."

He Imprinted on the baby. "STAND THE HELL DOWN! HE IMPRINTED!" I yell at them but Jared doesn't care, advancing at them. Jacob Phases, stopping them by announcing that the baby is his Imprint.

Edward realizes what's happened through our thoughts, his face showing conflicting emotions of fury and relief, "Jacob imprinted. They can't hurt her. Whoever a wolf imprints on can't be harmed. It's their most absolute law."