chapter xliii

KNOCK KNOCK.

"Come in?" I call questioningly to the front door, not looking up from the Forks Community College Application that Charlie sent to me, curious to who would knock on my door rather than just letting themselves in.

Sam rounds the corner, lightly smacking the table where I was evaluating the forms, "Hey Kiddo, let's go for a ride."

"I'm sorry?" I stutter, looking through my lashes at my big brother. I dropped my ball point pen on the table, cocking an eyebrow at his suggestion, "What possessed you to want to do such an action today, at this time, unprecedented? Nevertheless, I can't I'm busy."

Sam rolls his eyes, taking my application and looking it over before handing it back to me, "You're too smart to be going to community college."

The wolf inside snarled but I suppress it into a barking snicker, "Not much I can do about that, huh? It's not like I'm biologically and morally obligated to protect the Rez."

"I'm sorry about that but you know you're not tied down here. You can leave at any time, go to some big college and excel," Sam enlightened me, softly scratching my shoulder.

"Really?"

He nods, his dark eyes glistening with sadness, "You didn't ask for this, if you want to go to Harvard or Yale or the University of Maine I'll support you. All I want is for you to be happy."

I smile up at my big brother, recognizing the range of emotions that he's experiencing, "I'm not going anywhere but it's nice to know that if I wanted to leave your annoying ass I could."

Sam lightly shoved me, chuckling, "So, about that ride?"

"Okay but I'm driving," I announce, taking my keys off the table and bolting to my truck before he could object.

When we're about half-way between my house and the Cullen's Sam looks at me and chuckles, finally breaking the silence that bung between us, "So you and Lahote, huh?"

Out of my peripheral vision, I see Sam smirking because he's known everything that either of us have thought since we've Phased. I roll my eyes at his attempt to tease me about boys with me like any normal big brother would do, evading the actual question he was waiting to have answered with a question of my own, "We're people yes. Can you tell me why we're going to the Cullen's?"

"Me, Jake and you have something we need to talk about."

I turned my head sharply, giving him a perplexed look as I pulled my truck in front of the Cullen residence. Sam and I get out of the car, meeting Jake outside, "Hey Jake."

"Hey Kota, what brings you here, Sam?" Jake inquires out of politeness, pulling me into a hug. Though his exterior was calm and polite, Jake's inner emotions were quite to opposite for my brother. Wanting to fight with the Alpha for his mandate and trying to kill his Imprint.

"I wanted to apologize to you two," Sam grunts, focusing on Jake's eyes. He had clearly taken our conversation from the other day to heart, hering me when I said that he needed to apologize to everyone else for his actions and not just myself.

Jake and I look at each other then to our Alpha, shocked chorusing, "Say again?"

"I'm sorry for how I handled Bella and the baby."