Troubled Waters

Chad walked up to Rapunzel and Eugene who were in deep conversation with Varian with a raven on his arm, deeply confusing the rulers and royal alchemist of Corona. "Why do you have a bird on your arm sweetheart?" Rapunzel asked.

"I have no idea Ella just told me to bring it-" The bird squawked and ruffled his feathers indignantly. "Him," Chad quickly corrected, "him to you."

"What if they send him back?" Mal shuffled anxiously as they walked along the cobblestone path.

"They're not going to," Ella assured, "my mom is so forgiving and Diaval did nothing wrong but aid your mother. He himself is innocent. Just go to the Auradon carriages. I'll take care of it," she nodded, breathing heavily.

Ella nodded Carlos along with her. Since each VK had been appointed to the court by at least one four kingdom heirs Carlos and Evie would be joining them Carlos would be riding with Agraba and Evie with Tirulia, for appearance's sake. Apparently, a girl and a boy make for better pictures and publicity. "Oh, Sunshine there you are," Eugene said as he saw his daughter approach, dragging Carlos along with her. "What's with the bird?" Diaval was not amused, snapping at Eugene's finger without actually biting him.

"Try it," Ella whispered, having noticed how Carlos growled back on the Isle, usually those with animalistic tendencies work with animals in their magic so this was to test a theory and give Mal some emotional support. "Do the same thing Mal did."

Carlos shakily reached out his hand and waved his fingers, "Into a man." A red mist came from his hand and Diaval shifted into a human.

"Oh gosh!" Rapunzel said, startled. She looked at Carlos, "You have magic?"

He looked at his hand and nodded numbly, "Apparently. I thought my eyes just glowed."

"Did you say glow?" Eugene and Rapunzel shared a nervous look but neither child caught it more worried about the raven man.

"Mom, dad this is Mal's papa, Diaval. We went to the isle, long story," she cut off her godfather's coming questions. "We brought him with us when we crossed, he wanted to be there for Mal since she's really tense and even doubting this whole thing."

Varian put the rest of the pieces together, "Adam and Belle will throw a hissy fit since he's off the isle."

Rapunzel and Eugene shared another look, seeming to have a wordless conversation. "Your majesty's if I may, I mean to cause no harm I just want to be there for my daughter."

"Oh, we weren't questioning that."

"It was more of a how do we keep Belle and Adam civil for the night."

Diaval looked positively baffled, Varian laughed, "They have a thing for fostering Ex-villains and convicts, they are very forgiving people."

"Unlike Adam and Belle," Ryder whispered under his breath.

"We'll take care of everything."

"He can ride in my carriage," Rapunzel grinned at the voice and ran over to Cassandra. "Hey Raps." Cassandra didn't come by a lot not since she left with her father all those years ago before the four-kingdom merger and she usually stayed out of Auradon since Belle and Adam tried to lock her away. "That is if I still get a carriage."

Eugene smiled at her, "Of course you do Cass."

Diaval looked down at the two children who smiled up at him, he could see who made them so kind and forgiving. They would make fine rulers one day.

~~~

Ella stepped out of her carriage; Jay having gone ahead of her. Cameras were flashing in her face; a million questions being thrown at her at once. "Princess Ella did Lady Evie make your dress?" one reporter asked, holding out his mic.