Hijar
                     part 3

The sky darkened, into an utter black void and then lightened again, a navy blue and then slowly, the sky blue. The once visible moon slowly hid away, secretly, as the first rays of the sun came out.

Every second of the night, as the sky had been black, she had been numb. Absolutely numb. Then it was excruciating pain, the way it felt if you were being burnt alive, torn apart limb by limb.

Every second of the night, she had wished death upon herself and him.

Him.

She didn't move an inch the whole night and in the morning even when the sun came out and she was able to see him passed out next to her.

Some meters apart.

All she saw was a haze. A silent stare, emotionless, as she watched him wake up and then glance at her.

Emotionless, as she watched him move about the room, go into the bathroom and come out and then stand in front of the mirror as he got ready. His eyes , for once, encountered her, curled in the same place he had seem before.

In the mirror, his eyes met her emotionless gaze and his expression changed, from pinched brows to expressionless. Staring a moment too long, he turned around to leave, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed.

——————————
In the bright sunlight, outside the haveli, he sat with Mufti Sahab, who was thinking with a wise look on his face,
" Shah Sahab, saara gaun aapsey badzan hai."
( The whole village is offended.)

" Inki kya majaal hai, Mufti Sahab?"
( what's their importance)
He was dressed in black like always, his eyes blank and chilling like always, stoic.

" Aap uss larki ko iss tarha apnay paas nahi rakh saktay, un ka kehna hai k phir tou aap kisi ki behn beti ko utha k ley jayein."
(You cant keep that girl with you like that, they say if you keep her, you may want to keep any of their daughters or sisters in the future.)

The Mufti explained the thoughts of the people of the village, it was clear that people were scared and some angry but none had the power to say anything to Shahs directly.

" Bhagaa kar nahi laya ussey mey, meray bhai ko qatal kiya, aisay hi jaanay dun un kamzaat logon ko?"
( I haven't eloped with her! They murdered my brother, will I let those people get away just like that?)

The hatred in his voice was visible as his brother's body flashed before his eyes.

" Shah Sahab, maaf kijiye magar aapnay bhi uskay baap aur bhai ka qatal kiya. Yay Larki zaat hai, gaun walay aisay nahi chorengay yay baat, aaj kal mey dharna dein gay, naaray lagayein gay, aur phir baad mey election mey vote nahi milengay."
( forgive me, but you have murdered her father and brother too. It will prove to be problematic, she is a woman and people won't leave this matter. Your votes may suffer in the next election.)

The mufti tried his best to argue, to get his point across.

" Aap kehna kya chahtay hain, Mufti Sahab?"
( What do you want to say?)

There was a little annoyance in his tone but he and his whole family respected the Mufti who had helped them in crucial times and advised them all along.

" Ya tou aap larki ko chhor dein, ya Nikkah karlain uss sey."
( Either leave that girl, or marry her.)

" Mey uss kamzaat sey nikkah karunga?"
( I will marry that woman?)
There was a very little patience left in him.