Chapter 41

Eye to eye, no one moved.

Izuku stared the familiar down and waited for his response. He did this with his mother's familiar after all, they would regularly talk. Surely this one would answer.

To the familiar, it had just formed and immediately it was being stared down by a child.

In all its past lives, he was always loyal to his partner and he would form their bond once his partner showed resolve at 4. But not only was he bonded at the age of 2, he has the voice of a human in his head belonging to apparently a child who couldn't even form actual words properly.

He sat in front of the two children who he saved moments before and replied to the voice in his mind.

"Hello...young one...."

The uncertainty was clear and he watched as the green headed child's face light up and smile. There was another moment of silence before the dragon smiled back. The world changes, this wasn't a bad change though, he could get use to this.

Katsuki noticed the small changes and relaxed, whatever happened was now over and he knew he shouldn't question it. Despite being young, he was smart. He knew the defenceless boy was not weak. If fact in a way, he was so weak...he was strong.

He gently helped Izuku up and had to catch him again as the boy stumbled into the older. There was a bright sunny smile and the sun shone down. He needed to protect this boy.

"....Izu"

He repeated the one word he was very good at pronouncing and tried out his full name.

"Izu...k-k...zu-kuuu...." The words stumbled on his tongue and he was annoyed. He didn't want to be a deku like Izuku but... Izu...ku...de....ku...dek...u... Deku!!

He faced the boy and opened his mouth. "Deku!" He was going to protect his green headed friend. He was strong.
Smiling wide, he was met with a hug as he heard mumbling. He knew his name was difficult to say so he never got an answer but today was different. Izuku opened his small cherry mouth and quivering words fell out.

"K-k-ka-ka-t-ch-kat-ch..."

He wasn't able to carry on but the first syllable made Katsuki smile so wide that Izuku started laughing. He loved seeing his loud friend smile so much he tried again.

"Ka-kat-..." He knew he couldn't carry on so he changed it a bit. All their thoughts were connected for that moment and with a smile, "Kacchan" came out.

Happiness flooded Katsuki as he heard his nickname. It made him feel so special and warm that he hugged the boy out of reflex. He didn't know what else to do. He wanted to protect this boy. He needed to.

The next year flew by, Katsuki still went to the mountain every day but he would strengthen his bond with his familiar every day with Deku's help. Inko would happily lend help once in a while, she had to while she still had time...

Mitsuki and sometimes Masaru would join every Saturday for their picnics and their days were blessed with happiness.

On Sunday's, Inko would teach Izuku the ins and outs of survival. She taught him how to fight with spear, how to climb trees, how to forage for food and medicine and how to hide.

She and the Selkie were always together. They would sometimes stare out of the window together before disappearing. Izuku quickly got use to running to the waterfall and finding his mother standing on the charred black rocks that never seemed to ever be clean.

Inko spent her time their holding a spear surrounded in floating bubbles of water. But since time has gone by, she could only hold up 7 now... Out of her 30 from before she tore... She always started crying as she looked at her Selkie. Half her familiars dress was ripped, and she could feel her time starting to tick...

Under the scenes, there was a tribe out there lead by an angry mother, still looking for her missing daughter...

They had lost track of them when they disappeared into society and they knew they had to stay away. The world didn't accept them for having the same familiar. They were seen as strange and were kept out. They didn't want their genes "tainted" by them. It was the reason they were chased so far away. The Chimera tribe had faced the same thing.

The leader knew that her daughter couldn't stay away from water even if her pelt was taken. She knew a city life wouldn't contain her so she stationed herself on the mountain base nearby a lake. The moisture in the air created ideal conditions for Selkies and she knew, her daughter would come back eventually.

She had a few warriors go inside the city everyday and one day, they returned saying that a child was spotted going up the other side of the mountain by itself. The child had been spotted multiple times in fact, disappearing into the thicket and not to be found until the end of the day.

Since the child had a dragon familiar, they didn't pay him any attention for a while before the leader strated to get paranoid. There was something about that child's familiar bond...she didn't know that the regular familiars could form such a strong one at 4...

The tribe was getting more and more scared. One of their kind was missing and each day made it seem more hopeless.

The leader had enough, she gave the tribe a day of rest while she went out herself.

She followed the boy into tge mountain and went down the flattened grass path. She watched as the four year old waited by a hazy bubble like wall and saw another child meet him. The boy had a cupid like face, soft and pale, covered in heart shaped freckles, large emerald eyes and forest green hair that was rooted with black.

It was almost as if...