Chapter 49

Bakugou looked at the door and knew exactly where to go. There was only one reason for the Midoriya's to leave through the back door and that was to see the waterfall. He remembered how he would sometimes see Auntie Inko wonder into it's cold depths but every time, Deku would wait a few minutes before going the bring her back.

He ran out the front door and went around the house to the locked door and looked at the latch. It really was closed from the outside.

He turned around and headed towards the source of water with Tomura and Nezu close behind.

They reached the waterfall and the first thing both boys notice was that there was a burnt ring at the front of the edge. It wasn't there before...

They bent down and saw that the ring was completely charred away a perfect circle with tall long grass surrounding it and dripping with dew drops despite it not raining that week.

Tomura knew that there was a wild familiar at the top of the fall and Bakugou quickly scaled the structure. The barrier was still intact so perhaps the familiar wasn't affected. Plus, Selkie knew that familiar...after all, Inko did save her life all those years ago.

At the top, the old familiar greeted Bakugou with a warm smile of familiarity. It was old and frail but still strong enough to keep the area safe.

Bakugou didn't really know what he was doing but he knelt down into the water where the familiar lay and let the gentle stream hold him still as he floated near the edge of the fall. The water caressed his sides and a peaceful silence consoled him. He closed his eyes and a vision played in his mind.

There was a young man with ash black hair sat on the edge of an erupting volcano, a powerful Chimera looming next to him. The man had a pained expression on his face as he looked into the spitting magma that glowed many shades of red and white.

The eerie glow lit up his face revealing a platter of freckles on the man's now resolved face. He stood up and faced his familiar with a smile, before throwing himself into the scorching heat.

A familiar, once bonded, will do everything in their power to keep their partners safe because if the human dies, the familiar will no longer continue to physically exist, their soul would wait around until someone compatible would link with them.

But if a familiar were to die, the only way for that to happen would be neglection of the familiar bond. This meant that the familiar's soul would be trapped in hell until the human can no longer withstand the pressure of being without a familiar and their own bodies would manifest and transform into the familiar's so their soul can once again wander until their next link.

Bakugou watched as the Chimera was already one step ahead and was already in between the magma and the ash haired male. The two partners sadly smiled at each other as the Chimera pushed with all its might to throw the man back out of the volcano as it's own body hit the molten liquid and burnt into cinders.

The man hit the edge and screamed in pain as his familiar contract burnt him inside out. He knew that we would die soon as the Chimera would soon come to collect his body but his face showed resolve.

Marching down the volcano, Bakugou watched as the man disappeared into the distance.

The vision changed and suddenly they were in the very waterfall that he layed in.  He watched as the same man, older, stood on the rocks and was crying with happiness as a baby was held in... Auntie Inko's hands...that's Deku...

He watched as panic suddenly took over the man's face and suddenly he burst into flames from his feet. A Chimera's head appeared in the flame and it opened its mouth before swallowing Hisashi whole.

Bakugou watched as the man was teleported from the waterfall all the way back to the volcano again. It was still bubbling away, threatening to erupt except...

Suddenly, the magma roared and froze, a figure rose up as the volcano steamed and hardened. The Chimera had reappeared in the thick steam and Hisashi smiled sadly. He reached up his hand resting it on the Chimera's mane... before walking headfirst into the steam.

Bakugou saw in horror as Hisashi's soul was stripped from his body, leaving it to crumble and turn to ash. The soul twisted and stretched becoming long thin chains that winded around itself before disappearing into the void that lay at the bottom on the bow still volcano.

The Chimera's soul circled the ash that the body made and within a second, the ash started to lift hauntingly. It formed streaky lines and soon, a Chimera's body made of ash stood in front on the soul.

But... instead of entering the body, the soul looked at the volcano where his partner had disappeared into and without hesitation, bounded in.

The soulless body stood there, guarding the bottom of the volcano. Just like that the frozen magma started to move again, the dark void was covered in bubbling magma and it disappeared from sight.

Gasping for air, Bakugou sat up straight from the river. He was met with Tomura looking at him with a questioning glance and the old familiar who helped him to his feet.

Explaining what he saw to Nezu, they knew immediately that their next stop was that volcano, that meant they had to set foot into the Chimera tribe territory. Knowing that they wouldn't take lightly to it, Nezu decided it would be best to regroup and see if the Selkie's could maybe talk reason into the Chimera tribe being an outcast tribe themselves.

The three were about to leave when the familiar hummed at them, tugging at Bakugou's clothes. They looked at the familiar and watched as it got up. It looks like their three just became four as it started to follow them down the forest path.