good news, bad news.

It was eating me inside. I need to ask the right question, not too direct, not too vague and not too stupid. How do you ask the right question when you don’t know anything about that person, but you know enough to know that the wrong question will scare them away.

“Sweetie you okay over there?” Scott looked at me from across the table, he was Eve’s dad and close to being my dad. I nodded at him slowly still drowning in my own thoughts. Eve kicked me from under the table, throwing her head to the right. That meant she wanted to talk to me in the bathroom.

“Uhm excuse us, I need to ask Eve something.” I said as I shoved the chair, I was just sitting on, away from under me. I grabbed Eve by her wrist and pulled her with me, she let out a soft shriek from shock a weird sound it was. I laughed at our parents as they looked at us confused. Eve looked at them and tried to give them a reassuring smile, but failed at it.

As soon as we walked into the bathroom Eve let out a deep sigh.

“Very subtle, very subtle Belle.” She bended over resting her hands on her knees.

“Oh just shut it.” I walked over to the sink to splash some water in my face, but stopped to look at my exhausted face. I didn’t bothered looking good for this dinner, something was holding me from trying.

“What’s wrong with you?” Eve was standing next to me and looked at me through the mirror. I shook my head and looked down at the broken white sink, I turned the water on and focused on the running water. I laid my right hand in the cold running water for a while before I cupped some water in both my hands to splash some water in my face. Like I had intended to do in the first place.

“I don’t know Eve.” It came out angrier than I was going for. The moment I saw Eve’s face turn from concerned to a sad face I grabbed her and hugged her.

“I don’t know what’s wrong, just hug me will you?” I whispered in her ear and she hugged me back tight. I don’t know how long we stood there but when I opened my eyes I realized I was shaking and tear stains made my face tense up. Eve was also crying in my shoulder and then I saw it, four shadows standing in the doorway. I pushed Eve back and she immediately saw our parents to.

“I’m sorry I uhm.” I didn’t know what to say, but the look on my mom’s face made me even sadder.

“I’m sorry?” My dad asked, his business voice he had most of the time had transformed into a soft, caring voice a dad should have.

“Yeah.” I looked down at my feet as I changed my position.

“I’m sorry for ruining the evening.” I wanted to burry my face in my hands when I heard my dad laugh, not like he was laughing at me, it was a reassuring laugh.

“You’re kidding right? You’re crying and you’re telling us you’re sorry for ruining the evening? Oh sweetie don’t do that ever again.” My dad always thought it was fundamental for a good business man/woman to be strong and never show your weakness. But he still walked up to me and Eve and grabbed the both of us in his big and warm embrace.

“We wanted to talk to you two about something.” He whispered softly, still trying to make us feel better.

“Now clean your sad faces up and meet us at the table.” He said pushing us back lightly and pinched both of our shoulders. I gave him a modest smile and turned to Eve when the four of them had closed the door behind them.

“Take a deep breath.” I said grabbing her by her shoulders just like my dad did. She did as she was told.

“It’s okay, don’t be sad just cause I am. We’re going to New York I’ll make sure of it.” I wiped away her tears and gave a brief hug. Then I pushed her towards the door and she started walking towards the dining room. She held out her hand and I grabbed it, we walked over to our parents hand in hand.