Say goodbye

I tapped my fingers on my steering wheel in sync with the song on the radio, and looked around the busy street while waiting for the light to turn green. My eyes fell on the couple in the car next to me, the man was yelling at the woman while she was trying to shush a baby. I remembered the training I had from ‘freckles’ and tried to focus on the couple. I gave him the nickname ‘freckles’ because he wanted to keep some mystery in whatever we had, so he didn’t gave me his name.

“Get that goddamn baby quiet!” The man yelled.

“It’s not going to work if you keep yelling.” The woman yelled back.

“I can yell whenever I want to.” I snapped my eyes open as I realized I was still waiting in front of a traffic light. I looked at the light in front of me, a rush of relief running through my body when I saw the red light. I looked to the little clock in the dashboard and back to the road ahead. It was 7pm and my stomach was grumbling loudly, I had put in at least an hour to control my new ability and to be honest I think I might be really good. I saw the light in front of me flash green and I drove off fast, feeling the hunger become worse by the minute and my house closing up in front of me. I followed the path that led to my house and looked at the unfamiliar cars in front of my house, there was a police car too and all I could think about was what happened today. What if somebody died? What if everybody died? What if they’re kidnapped? It would be all my fault. I rushed out of my car and ran towards the front door, but I waited a second and closed my eyes.

It didn’t work, I couldn’t focus with all those horrible thoughts running through my mind. I couldn’t hear what was going on inside of the house.

“Belle?” I looked into my dad’s blue eyes and hugged him the moment I was sure it was him.

“What are you doing?” He asked surprised when I wrapped my arms tightly around his waist.

“Hugging my daddy? Why?” I mumbled into his chest.

“Weren’t you supposed to be at Eve’s?” I pushed myself away from the man and looked at him.

“I was out with someone else, remember?” He walked with me into the house and closed the door behind us.

“Have you even tried to talk to Eve?” I frowned at him, the concerns I had before flooding back immediately.

“Whu?” Before I even realized it I let out a deep sigh. Don’t blame me, I was hungry and to be honest I also have all the rights to be tired as hell.

“Belle, we have been calling you all day.” Eve walked into the room with her hands in the air out of desperation, I looked at the people sitting on the couches in our living room.

“Why?” I asked dumbly.

“We’re leaving.” She said and I frowned.

“I’m sorry?” After having such a confusing day, probably a day to remember, the headache that has been growing was now killing me. And here was Eve making it all worse by giving me vague statements. I put my head in my hands and listened to the following statements.

“To LA, you dummy. We’re leaving tonight.” I snapped my head up, looking at her shocked. My head aching painfully but I ignored it. I wanted to scream from happiness and cry at the same time, I wanted to go but not now. Karma’s a bitch, sending me away just when things were getting better.

“You aren’t excited.” Eve said disappointed and I gave her a smile.

“I am!” I exclaimed. “I’m just tired and hungry.” I gave her a weak smile but through her happiness she didn’t noticed.