Chapter 45

Doctors work frantically to keep Wren alive. She has already lost a significant amount of blood and with the news of her being pregnant, makes the situation dire. Not only do they have to save one life, but now they have to save two.

"We need more blood," Doctor Green, shouts to one of the nurses. Nurse Hazel, wastes little to no time doing what she is told. When she returns, she is quick to hook the bag of blood up and begin the transfusion.

Doctor Green, pays no mind to the rest of the doctors and nurses in the room, they know what they need to do, and he focuses all his attention on gaping wound on Wren's chest.

Relief washes over him as he realizes that the bullet had entered her chest cavity in an angle, that allowed the bullet to miss all—but one major artery and exit out her back, just below her her right shoulder blade. As long as he could find the artery that has been struck and stop the bleeding, he knew that she would survive.

After hours of surgery, the bleeding has finally stopped and she is now stable, critical but stable. What surprised him the most is the fact that, for as small and fragile this woman in front of him appeared to be, not once did she give up. She fought just as hard for her life as he did.

With the mother now stable, Doctor Green turns his attention to the growing fetus in her stomach. To his surprise, Doctor Benson, the obgyn on call, was already in the room, hooking her equipment up to Wren to get a reading on the baby.

After several agonizing minutes, Doctor Benson finally informs us that there is a tear in her placenta, which would explain her vaginal bleeding and that it's nothing life threatening, but she will need some time to heal and most likely have to be on bed rest for the rest of her pregnancy. She also felt the need to add that the baby is a boy.

Doctor Green nods and heads out of the room to get cleaned up. His staff knows what needs to be done and doesn't need him anymore.

When he enters the waiting room, his eyes land on the three men, sitting in chairs against the wall, away from everyone else, who look extremely exhausted. As he approaches, he is immediately greeted by a very eager, Maxen.

*Maxen*

The moment Oakley called me, worried about about her mother's safety, I knew I had to get out of that hospital and find out what the hell was going on. Thankfully, I didn't need anyone to check me out since I willingly signed myself in.

Once I was out, I made my way to the Knight residence. Of course I knew where they lived. They were rivals to my boss and in this line of work, you have to know everything and anything about your enemies.

When I arrived, Mrs. Knight allowed me to see my children for a brief moment, from what I could see, they were well taken care of, but were a mess about their mother and her whereabouts and soon I found out why.

When she told me about Jake and Penelope, I was more than stunned. I was confused, angry, hurt and felt absolutely betrayed. Why he would go after the mother of my children was beyond me. He knew she was off limits.

Even if we weren't together.

Mrs. Knight wasted no time in telling me of her son's plan and told me where they were headed. As soon as she spoke of the warehouse and gave me the address, my heart sunk. That's the warehouse Jake, liked to do all of his dirty work. It was secluded and no one would hear a thing.

Without saying goodbye, I rushed out of the house. Yes I know it's rude, but I had bigger things to worry about. Wren and I may have a dark past, but she is still very important to me.

I wasn't worried about how I approached the raggedy building, after all, Jack was my boss and everyone was use to my presence there.

I just hope I wasn't too late.