~2~

"Why did you follow me?" he repeated.

The closeness of his body and the tone of his voice made me shudder; it was so serious and reproachful all of a sudden that it bordered with coldness. It stood in a stark contrast with his passionate embrace, confusing me.

I wrapped my arms around his waist without any hesitation because it felt the right thing to do. I belonged in his arms, I was finally at home... My crazily beating heart was the only proof I needed.

But why, where and when was I?

I didn't know who this man was, or I, at the moment. Vlad, his name is Vlad, I reminded myself impatiently. My memory regarding this life was insufficient. It was like a white sheet of paper with only a few unclear and unfinished sketches, hinting at people and situations I could not recall completely. I remembered the feeling of his body against mine and my affection for him. I loved him, truly, deeply, unconditionally. We belonged together, no matter what. And then there was something more, lurking at the borders of my memory. A few unfocused silhouettes of  things that weren't completely shaped up and ready to reveal themselves yet.

Suddenly, I started feeling weak, and a wave of nausea hit me hard. My legs trembled, unable to support the weight of my body, and I would have fallen if he wasn't holding me so tightly.

Vlad noticed, lifted me with ease, and I let him carry me across the hall to a throne-like seat.

"It's the effect of your journey here. You crossed the time, travelling a long way back. It took me a few tries to get used to it," he said, smiling at me encouragingly, his voice, finally, warming up. I liked it more this way.

I sat down, trying to organise the wide skirts of my dress to make it fit the chair. Adjusting its many folds, I felt something hard pressing against my hip in one of its hidden pockets. Pushing my hand inside curiously and exploring the object with my fingers, I recognised it as my book. It seemed to be the only thing that was carried over here with me.

Why the book, out of all things? Was it because I had been holding it in my hand when I crossed over? There were so many things I did not understand. My mind was teeming with questions with no matching answers.

My head was still spinning slightly, but now that I was seated, the strange weakness was slowly fading away, I was already feeling better. I looked up at Vlad and smiled at him tentatively. It was amazing how my heart started to race every time our eyes met, I wondered if it would ever change.

He was standing above me, watching my every move. I shifted in my seat, feeling awkward in the dress I was wearing. It was a bit too tight and revealing for my taste, and I didn't know how to compose myself. But, somehow, I knew that I would get used to it fast. What was bothering me more was my hair. It was all pulled up and wound tightly, I couldn't wait for the moment to unleash it.

Everything else seemed to fit perfectly. This was my place as much as his.

Vlad just kept standing in front of me, observing me silently, incredulously, his beautiful eyes full of joy laced with profound sadness. I would give anything to be able to smooth out the worried wrinkles that appeared on his forehead, to find out what he was thinking, and cheer him up. But I did not dare to ask anything, not yet.

"Welcome home, Samara," he said after a while. This time, his voice was as warm and pleasant as a caress.

My breath hitched at his words. I felt overwhelmed with joy in his company, willing him to come closer and never leave my side again. But he was so confusing; it looked as if he couldn't decide how to feel about my presence in his world. He was extremely happy and very sad or worried at the same time.
Did he actually want me to come back home?