~12~

Oh, no. No, no, no! His son.

I took a couple of deep, steadying breaths gazing in Vlad's eyes, standing stiff and frozen in his embrace. I could see some of the shock I was feeling reflected in his own look, and I knew he didn't want me to find out this way. So much has changed since you left me, Samara, I remembered his words from the previous night.

I leaned my forehead against his chest for a moment before disentangling myself from his arms and turning around. I needed to face this alone, like I did with Radu before. But this is his son! The thought was strange, alien, painful even.

I looked up at the tall young man in front of me and was met by a pair of curious green eyes, very similar to his father's, staring back at me. That's where the resemblance ended, thankfully. The man, who seemed to be as old as me, was slim and blond. His short hair looked as unkempt and dishevelled as his clothes. Apparently, he spent some time on horseback to get here, he must have just arrived.

His waxen, serious face, and strikingly red lips reminded me of his uncle, but he seemed to possess much more self-control than Radu; this young man looked nearly as human as his father. He was regarding me with a cold, calculating stare, making me shudder. Will I ever get used to their looks?

I didn't know how much longer I would remain this cool and composed, I felt the first unwelcome tears prickling in the corners of my eyes, threatening to spill.

The desire to be alone in my bed wrapped in my soft blanket and cry, which I had been fighting since I saw Radu in Vlad's chamber early this morning, came back, a hundred times stronger. Finding the last trace of strength somewhere deep deep inside of me, I took a few steps closer to the young man.

I offered him my hand, and he brought it to his lips, his demeanour unreadable and impassive.

"Nice to meet you... Vlad," I said, my tired mind producing a name, hopefully the right one, my voice weak and breaking. Suddenly, I felt exhausted.

A hint of surprise passed behind his cold green eyes, and I was surprised, too. I remembered his name from the research I had done before coming here on my Halloween trip. His, those of his two brothers, and also, the names of Vlad's two other wives.

Children, wives... My head was swimming with confused images and questions I dreaded to ask.

I stepped away from him, looking at the cobbled floor of the courtyard under my feet to hide the bewilderment that surely registered in my eyes, feeling weak and defeated. The wives... how could I have forgotten!

Vlad reached me where I stood, and I felt his strong arm wrapping around my waist, somewhat hesitantly, for support. He was trying to gauge my reaction, I knew he wanted to explain, but there was nothing to say at the moment. I knew about them, I just wasn't expecting them to be still a part of his life.

All that I needed now was a bit of alone time to process all the new information. I had to regroup, to get used to the idea of his... family. They are eternal, like him. You are not. He said he wouldn't change you. He changed them, though, my subconscious reminded me promptly. No! It wasn't like that.

Go. Bed. Alone. Think.

"Well, I will let you two talk," I said, avoiding looking at either of them, not trusting my ability to hold back the tears. I didn't want to cry. Not in front of them.

Taking a deep breath, I shook Vlad's arm off and dragged myself towards the great wooden door. I walked inside, across the dim hall, and towards the staircase, leading to the upper floors. I couldn't wait to be in my chamber.