~29~

Vlad and I walked through the candle lit corridors and descended the vast staircases holding hands, preceded by Shadow and followed by a couple of knights.

Rather than looking under my feet, I found myself observing Vlad's profile, taking him in, letting him guide me through the semi-darkness of the castle. It was a marvellous feeling, not being alone, having him around for once. I hoped he would never leave for days on end again.

As we reached the unusually noisy corridor leading to the Great Hall, and from there all the way towards the kitchens, I tried to direct Shadow towards the aromas of food coming from that direction. Of course, he feigned ignorance of what I was suggesting until Vlad looked in his eyes and raised his hand toward the far end of the corridor. And just like that, the stubborn wolf was gone.

"That's rather impressive," I said surprised, "how did you do that? Can you teach me?" I added teasingly.

He laughed, then kissed me, his lips meeting mine with such gentleness and urgency at the same time that I forgot all about the wolf and everything else. Vlad had the best way of avoiding answering most of my questions. Oh well...

The door of the Great Hall opened, letting a wedge of bright light and a loud mixture of voices and music into the dim corridor. Someone walked out, freezing at the sight of us, hidden there in the near complete darkness.

"Your Highness," I recognized Ioan's voice before I turned completely towards the intruders. Vlad put his fingers under my chin and tilted my face back to his, kissing me one more time before he turned his attention to the Guards.

He put his arm around my waist as we walked closer to them.

"Excuse us, my lord, my lady," Ioan said, bowing deeply, "but we were just looking for you... Mihail here..."

"That's why we are here, Mihail. Samara, Mihail is Sorina's suitor. You may go to see her now," Vlad added, turning to the young man.

"Thank you for looking after her, my lady," Mihail said, dropping to his knee in front of me and kissing my hand, taking me by surprise.

"I... couldn't do... much, Mihail," I stammered, putting my hand on his shoulder, suggesting he stood up. "I'm really sorry we couldn't help her more... but I believe she was found too late, and we must wait..." I found it difficult to explain something I still didn't understand completely myself.

"Thank you, my lady," Mihail repeated, standing up. "I'm glad she is alive. The rest... We will figure it out. We would have done it sooner or later anyway."

I nodded, feeling relieved for Sorina. Mihail will stand by her side even once she is changed. In her misfortune, she was lucky.

"Ioan, would you show him the way, please?" I said, looking at the Captain. "Just leave Mihail with Sorina and Katerina. He can stay as long as he wants."

"Of course, Lady Samara," Ioan agreed before the two of them disappeared in the direction of the staircase.

"One thing done," Vlad said, opening the door to the Great Hall. "Now let me introduce you to the rest of my Guard."

I was blinded momentarily by the flood of flickering light as the door opened. The vast hall was full of people dressed mostly in azure cloaks. His Highness' Guard. There must have been at least thirty of them, some sitting at the two long tables, eating, others standing in small groups dispersed around the room, talking and drinking. There was music, adding to the general confusion of voices, raining down upon those gathered in the hall from a long and narrow gallery situated high along one of the walls.

"Where do you keep them all?" I asked, puzzled, observing the large number of men. I had never noticed more than a handful of the Guards in the castle at the same time.